Chapter 19. A Way of Heart

The library was usually quiet and magnificent. The classes had already started, but Jackie still had her medical leave, so she wisely decided to use this time.

She sat on the floor, holding her Light. Now, its color seemed to be almost transparent in the bright daylight. Just a clear sphere, looking like pure ocean water.

Laura sat nearby, twisting her green Light in her hands. "Are you sure you feel well?"

"Absolutely. My magic returned two days ago," Jackie replied. "Ok, let's focus."

Laura nodded and moved her hand, letting Jackie merge her energy with hers. The spheres of Light synchronized and became brighter.

"A soft touch." Jackie smiled. "We're getting better each time."

"I feel like I can become a witch after all this practice," Laura said in a sarcastic tone.

"Just one more time, okay?" Jackie took a deep breath, concentrating on her inner balance. "Now try to remember the episode from the past when you couldn't control your Gift."

Obeying her, Laura closed her eyes. Jackie moved her free hand up, letting the Telekinesis Gift go through her magic channels. She aimed to make a book from the reception desk float. However, the wave of invisible energy hit the vase with fir twigs at the corner. Before New Year, Laura decorated it with paper flowers and candies. Now it swung and fell on the floor.

A loud clanking of broken glass made Laura open her eyes. "This time, you are responsible for cleaning."

"Hold on." The merged Lights became smaller between their palms, but still, Jackie could use this energy. "Keep in contact. Now, remember the time when you just learned to control your power."

"Fine." Laura sighed and closed her eyes again.

Jackie focused on reading Laura. She was immersed in a memory of her past when Laura stood over a broken pot in her garden. Her face was covered with tears, and she looked at her palms disappointedly.

"What have you done?" Jackie asked.

Laura's voice sounded from her sides. She couldn't affect the memory, and Laura replied from the real library room. "It was my mom's favorite pot. My dad made it for her garden when they had just bought a house. And I broke it"

"Did you fix it?" Jackie asked.

"Just watch."

Laura's image that was in memory finally stopped sobbing. She placed her palms on her chest and took a deep breath. Then she stretched one of her hands and moved her fingers. The flowers torn from the earth started flying around, dropping dirt from their buds. Cleaned and fresh, they landed on the soft flower bed, and their roots sank to the earth, finding comfort in a new place.

"Jackie, look!" Laura called her from the library.

Jackie opened her eyes, amazed. Now the fir twigs flew over them along with candies and the paper flowers of red and golden colors.

"Incredible!" Laura laughed and moved her hands up, arranging the vortex of New Year accessories. First, the twigs landed on the floor, and then the candies dropped into the empty crystal vase on the shelf one by one. She left the flowers for the ending, making them cover Jackie's head like giant snowflakes. Their thin knits attached to her hair locks.

* * * * *

"Your Gift is fun." Jackie couldn't stop smiling. She was wiping the water from the floor while Laura removed the broken glass. Her Gift could let her do it without risking cutting her fingers.