Chapter 22. The Farewell Party

The dorms were busy - people walked in and out, bringing food and drinks. The party was arranged in the backyard, so it was full of tables, chairs, and vases with flowers for the first time in many years. Elisa stood on the chair at the entrance, attaching a long flower garland over the doorway. The daffodils smelled of bitter memories of last spring. Elisa would never believe if someone had told her last year that she would become a cadet.

Elisa attached the ribbon to the corner and jumped to the ground. She fixed the hem of her light-blue dress, ensuring that she looked tidy. Theo approached with two glasses of champagne, and she took one. They walked along the yard, enjoying the warm spring evening.

"Told you it would be nice with flowers." Elisa smiled. "And the evening won't become a bachelor party mess."

Theo took a sip from his glass. "Well, it still might. There will be thirty-four drunk men here."

"Are you planning to get drunk?" She gave him a playful look. "There will also be three women, so you might need to be able to focus."

He twisted his glass, watching the bubbles. "And you decided I must hit on Laura?"

"Why not?"

"We actually talked and decided to stay friends."

"Really?" Elisa scoffed. "I can't believe she let you go so easily. She was so into you."

"I think this flame just went off." He shrugged.

"What's wrong with your hunter instinct?" She poked his shoulder.

"Nothing." He teased her. "What about yours?"

"Touché." She sighed and took a big gulp.

Since she had kissed Jackie, she couldn't stop thinking of her, even in her dreams. Unexpectedly, her lie seemed to have a positive impact because Jackie focused on her studies and significantly improved her marks in law and history. The smallest thing Elisa could do for her was to throw a surprise party. Just one thing to cheer her up after accomplishing such a challenging year.

His hand landed on her shoulder. "Sorry, Sparkle. Sometimes I forget that you are still into her."

"It's just so weird that being in love is illegal in my case," Elisa whispered. Theo was always nearby since she told him about the kiss and her heartbreak, encouraging her.

"You've done nothing wrong," he said. "Plus, upcoming summer practice is plenty of time, so you'll probably be over her by fall."

"I hope so."

"Speaking of practice... Are you sure that going to Santos is a good idea?"

"The further from her, the better," she said, finishing her drink.

Elisa placed her empty glass on the table. The waitresses she hired hadn't arrived yet, so there was no one to serve the drinks. Fortunately, Urchin was at the entrance, talking with Riley, a guy who could see the future in his dreams. What attracted her was a bottle of fine whiskey that Urchin carried in his hands. She waved at him.

"I thought you didn't like Urchin." Theo chuckled.

"Today, I like everyone who makes me forget about my worries." She winked. "Let's go."

Urchin was in the spotlight tonight as everyone was eager to try 'the real guardian drink' he brought.

As Elisa waited for her turn to get a portion of whiskey, she came closer to Riley. "So how come you foresaw Jackie failing the hearing and didn't warn her?"