Chapter 21. The Eyes of Justice

The main hall of the courthouse was almost empty. Jackie sat on the bench near the small fountain with her diary on her lap. The crystals of time on it shone with yellow, making the moving water look like a bubbling lemonade. Opened windows let the spring air in, filling it with the aroma of blossoming trees.

Jackie bit a pencil as she re-read the notes she had prepared for the hearing. This winter, she had almost drowned. Kathy, a woman whom her husband abused, pushed her to the lake that night. Today, Jackie was the only one who volunteered to become her attorney at law. This decision came to her after learning that the guardians usually punished such females by taking their magic away in cases like this. Thus, they became Incapables and lived the rest of their lives in special isolated communities. Jackie couldn't let this happen.

She turned several pages, looking for the spell of self-confidence that she recently wrote for herself. Instead, the diary opened on the spell that she wrote for Elisa.

Sometimes we choose the path... she read, as her heart raced. Since that day when they kissed, Jackie couldn't find a better solution than focusing on her studies and spending all her free time preparing for this court hearing.

She placed her free hand on her chest, hoping to discover that the love that she carried there had finally disappeared. Alas, it was still there. Moreover, it grew even stronger during these five months. She missed Elisa. Even though Elisa would never love her back, she craved her. Every evening, all Jackie wanted was to hold her tight and keep kissing her again and again without carrying where it would lead them both. Instead, she stayed late in the library, reading law books. Jackie usually came to their room close to midnight because not talking to her helped a lot.

The shadow of a man's hat fell on the diary page, and Jackie raised her eyes. It was Don.

"What are you doing here?" Jackie asked.

"Just came to check on my loyal student." He sat on the bench and took his hat off. His hair was cut and brushed as he was prepared for some important social event. "How are you?"

"I don't think I'm that loyal." Jackie closed her diary and sighed.

His brown eyes smiled. "You studied night and day. I'm intrigued to see how this case will end."

"Really, how much can a rookie like me change?" She stared at the fountain. Now, the color of the water had a light-green shade. They had several minutes left before the hearing started.

"Lack of confidence is normal for a beginner." His voice didn't have its usual sarcastic tone. "Jackie, I don't tell it often to my students, but you have a real talent to put words together. If you keep practicing, you can make a good lawyer."

"Really?"

Don's face was confident. "Why not?"

"Well, I'm not a good liar."

"Why would you lie?" He scoffed.

"But which version is right to show?"

He gave her a sly look. "It depends on what you want for this woman. Why did you take part in it in the first place?"

"I just wanted to prevent cases like this from happening. When she experienced domestic violence, she couldn't even find where to complain!" Jackie paused, remembering all the events that led her here. "She was vulnerable and unprotected. She was like... me."

"Exactly." Don stood up. "I'm sure your vibe will help persuade the judge and people in the courtroom. Now, let's go."