Chapter 27. Defeat

Once again, they were in a carriage, but their eyes were covered with eyepatches this time. Unable to see the road, Theo could only guess that they didn't go far from the city - the road was pretty smooth, and the trip didn't take long. When they arrived, a silent man followed them to the building.

As soon as they walked through the door, his eyepatch was removed, and a bright light hit his eyes. It took Theo some time to get used to the shine of dozens of candles. The candle holders were everywhere - on the tables, on the shelves, and on a chandelier that hung over the boxing ring. The hall was overcrowded. People surrounded the ring and spoke loudly, anticipating the show.

He didn't have a chance to ask Jackie about the fights she demanded to watch, but now it didn't need any explanation. This secret mission apparently had a double bottom, and now they were in a remote and well-guarded place. Theo counted two guards at the front and back doors and two more at the bar. They gazed at the new visitors like hounds, sending creeps down his spine.

A short man in a red shirt walked into the ring and shouted. "Are you ready to see the blood?!"

"Ya-a-a-y!" The crowd cheered.

Jackie squeezed his elbow. Maybe these people were ready, but she definitely wasn't. Theo nodded to her, and they walked closer to the ring.

He stopped near the aged couple who wore luxury dresses. A woman's tanned neck was decorated with a sparkling diamond necklace. Her black hair with stripes of grey was accurately pinned, and her spine was straight, revealing the confidence of someone who regularly visits such places. She gave him a curious look. Perfect. If someone could know anything about this place, it was her.

"A nice evening, isn't it?" Theo asked her to start the conversation.

"Indeed." She smiled. "Today, they have fresh Incapables."

It took him an effort to keep his face mimicking neutral. Incapables, people who didn't have magic. There were not many of them, and they preferred to live in isolated communities. However, some young Incapables went to the city to find jobs as servants or housemaids. As he knew from Elisa's stories, they mostly were unlucky offspring of girls whose magic was taken away.

"Incapables? How come?" Jackie asked.

The woman turned to her. "This year, the demand for Incapables increased in the city. They fight desperately, and if they win, they receive full freedom."

Theo's hand slid to Jackie's fingers and activated her ring with a hidden memory crystal. She nodded slightly in approval. It was time to get proof and get out of this place.

"They make Incapables fight," Theo said, ensuring his voice sounded clear. "That's interesting. But really, who would let Incapable be truly free? The guardians obey King's orders - if they notice Incapable walking in the street without a permit –"

"Right. We call it an 'accident.'" The woman's laughter sounded like a creak of a heavy door. "But they are too stupid to realize that."

Jackie took a deep breath before replying. "That's awful."

She scowled. "What is awful?"

Jackie went silent.

Theo gave a woman an apologetic smile. "We are from the West, and it's awful no one came up with this idea before."

She scoffed and turned to the ring. "The show is starting."

Theo shifted his eyes to the woman's companion. It was a well-dressed grey-haired man, and now he was smoking a cigar, puffing out thick blue clouds. His grey mustache moved as he observed the events on a ring.