Chapter 16. Bounded by The Oath

"It wasn't your fault." The guardian's voice sounded in her ears, but his words didn't make sense. Elisa stared at him. In his late thirties, he had blond hair and wide blue eyes.

"What's wrong with her?" Elisa repeated. He didn't tell her any details, and it was worse than anything. But she wouldn't give up trying.

The guardian sighed. They were sitting in the chairs in the hall of the dorms, and the fire was cracking in the fireplace, illuminating the space. But it didn't make the room warm. Jackie was on the sofa, covered with Elisa's white plush blanket from their room. The Doctor had recently checked her and allowed her to come in.

"Listen, girl –"

"Elisa." She corrected him. "And what's your name, by the way?"

"Walter." He paused. "Walter Mills."

Elisa nodded. "So, Mills, thank you for helping pull my friend from the lake. It was the most impressive usage of a telekinesis Gift that I've ever seen."

"It's my job." He relaxed in his chair.

Perfect. As Don trained her, the most essential part was establishing a connection with the person, and then she could try to crack him. "So, would you mind telling me what the heck is going on?"

He gave her a sad look. "The doctor said that there's still hope. Now everything depends on her."

Elisa glanced at Jackie. Her head rested on a white pillow, her face pale and lifeless. To be able to wake her up, she would give everything. But she couldn't even hold her hand without wearing her leather gloves.

His face became concentrated. "Were you good friends?"

"Yes." Elisa hugged herself. She was shivering. "She is my best friend. Shit, I don't even know what to do. I can't lose her."

Walter nodded. "Then you need to help her."

"But how?"

"She just needs rest and care now, so her body will recover," Walter said calmly. "She'll wake up eventually, but the actual healing from her condition might take years."

The tears welled in her eyes. "What do you mean?"

"She was too deep in the water. It only means she didn't try to fight for her life." His hand rested on the chair arm. "Was she depressed?"

Elisa wiped her face. "I don't... actually, we both have an uneasy past. But we prefer not to talk about it. Not here."

"At this point, you must talk about it." His eyes looked at her without blinking. "It's the easiest way she can let it go. Then, she will heal."

"But what if she doesn't want to talk about it?" Elisa whispered.

"All right, I'll explain," Walter said. "Emotional trauma is a part of being a guardian. And as you probably noticed, this path doesn't start in the Academy. It starts much earlier, in your real life, when you face unfairness, injustice, and tragedies that could be avoided. This darkness is hard to bear because we often think we are alone. But when you have the support of someone who went through the same, it hurts less. She needs a friend now. The one that she can trust."

Her fingers squeezed the chair arm. "I just don't want to make it worse. To hurt her."

"Just take it slow. You need to open up first, so she will feel more secure. But don't push her. You need to guide her and support her when she needs it."

"Does it really work?"

"Every single time." He nodded. "It's called mentoring. I know it was hard for you, too, but it's just a rehearsal. The guardian's path consists of dangers, hard choices, and losses."