Chapter 7. A Wine Thief

The firepit was almost ready. Jackie wrapped herself in a blanket, anticipating the warmth of hot spicy wine. It was known that half a mug of this wine before sleep could prevent catching a cold, but for her, it was a special moment when she could get a bit tipsy and enjoy some girl talk.

Elisa finished arranging the brushwood and stood by her side. Her voice was as soft as warm liquor. "You know, I'm not a fan of long rides either."

Jackie locked her eyes with hers. Even though she voluntarily agreed to this long journey, it was better to start conceiving Elisa to change her mind about the guys. "Dragons can migrate, and we might never find them."

She shrugged. "I'm sure we will. Sooner or later."

Jackie raised her eyes to the darkening skies. "It's not so easy to find their habitat. Even if we do, who will believe us?"

"I don't care about people's opinions, Jackie."

"Then why are we doing it?"

Elisa opened her mouth, but no words escaped her lips. Instead, she stared over her shoulder with wide-opened eyes.

Jackie went silent. Something moved there, behind her back, and by the quiet rustle of their road bags and someone's puffing, she concluded that Urchin didn't break his promise about the map. However, he forgot about being quiet.

"Is it a raccoon?" Jackie whispered.

Elisa's voice was quiet. "Racoons don't play tricks. Just look at it!"

Jackie slowly turned her head. The jar of wine slowly floated to the bushes.

Elisa gave her a sharp look. "I asked you not to tell Urchin about our trip."

Jackie mustered an innocent look. "We don't know if it's him."

"Really? Well, who else could it be?"

"Maybe just an occasional mage with the gift of Invisibility. You know, this Gift is widespread among thieves -"

"Enough!" Elisa raised her palm. "I'll show them how to steal from us."

Without any delay, she walked in the direction where the jar flew. Jackie had nothing left but to follow her to the forest.

* * * * *

"One day, you'll become a great thief!" Theo stood over the burning fire, mixing the wine in a steaming pot. The flames danced on his cheerful face.

Urchin waved his hand. "Stop saying that! I'm a future guardian, not a criminal."

Theo covered the pot with the metallic lid. "You just stole a jar of wine for us. I assume it was fun."

"It was." Urchin nodded. "But it doesn't mean that I stepped on the dark side of the law."

"Why not?" Theo teased him. "Isn't it boring to constantly follow the rules? Haven't you ever dreamed of being a little adventurous?"

"Nope. All the men in my line were guardians, and I'll do the same. It's my destiny." Urchin came to his horse and started extracting the blanket from his backpack. The night might be cold. Good that he managed to get some spicy wine from Jackie. Interesting, what is she doing at the moment? He wondered.

"Destiny..." Theo stared at the flames. "Can someone decide for us what to do? Maybe we can direct our lives, and everything is in our hands. What if you can choose not to follow your father's steps and create your future?"