Chapter 26. On the Dark Side

The building of a nightclub was at the far end of the city. Loud music leaked along the busy night street. Their carriage stopped at the high fancy doors. As per the instruction, Jackie patiently waited when Theo walked out of the carriage, walked around, and gave her a hand.

Using his help, she got out and stepped on the pavement. Her heels clicked with each step they took.

The guard who stood at the entrance gave them an estimating look, and then his eyes stopped at her ring. "Where are you from?"

Jackie gave him a charming smile. "Esplendor."

The guard's eyes sparkled with interest. "A capital of the Rocky Kingdom... Isn't it too far away?"

"I just finished studying, and my dear brother gave me a present – traveling across the continent and getting new impressions."

Theo took her palm and kissed it. "Any whim, my dear sis."

The guard nodded and waved his hand. The doors behind him opened, and they walked inside, hand in hand.

It was a big hall with a tall ceiling. The garlands of yellow and violet night flowers were wrapped around the pillars, and their dull light lit up the figures in luxury dresses and costumes. The ladies laughed, and the gentlemen smoked cigars. Like a mist, a blue smoke hung in the room. The gentle sounds of guitars and violins created incredible melodies.

Theo leaned over her ear. "Let's go to the corner."

Jackie followed him to the far end, to the place with two comfortable chairs and an elegant side table. It was quieter here, so they could hear each other well.

A young girl in a tight violet dress brought them a menu, and they ordered a bottle of white wine, cheese, and shrimp. Jackie didn't want to drink after everything that happened after last night, but Theo said they would need to have the full glasses on the table, taking rare sips. Thus, they would keep optimal sobriety and not seem too suspicious.

Jackie put her full glass in front of her and looked around. "How long do you think it might take?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "We'll see."

She sighed, thinking about Elisa. She wasn't mad at her anymore, but her weird behavior had no logical explanation.

"So, what happened between you and Sparkle?" Theo asked.

Jackie stared at him. "What do you know?"

He sipped from his glass before replying. "Sometimes, I wish I never knew. Lies are so confusing."

"True." Jackie sighed. As she learned, lying to someone was a skill that required good memorizing - each time she was untruthful, she had to add a new layer of lies to cover the original one. it was enough for her. Maybe it was last night or that case in court that she failed, but at that moment, her patience had just reached its limit, and she sought good advice. "Can I ask you something personal?"

"Of course, you can." His bright blue eyes gave her a curious look. "I can keep secrets. I swear, I won't breathe a word of you or Sparkle."

Jackie nodded. It wasn't easy to place her question delicately, so she started from the beginning. "It happened on the day when I helped Elisa tame her Gift."

"Right, you wrote a spell," Theo remembered.

"Yes."

"And you two kissed."

Jackie's heart skipped a beat. Damn, he knows Elisa too well. And if they are such good friends, what else do they share? Out of loud, she asked. "So, you've been keeping her secret all this time."