Chapter 20. Last Date

Jackie placed a piece of chalk on the drawer and wiped her hands. With a smile on her face, she admired her work. A white chalk circle looked impressive on the dark wooden floor. Six white candles burned at its sides, cracking. Her leather diary lay in the middle, opened on the proper page. To create a special, cozy atmosphere, Jackie closed the curtains tightly, not letting the daylight in.

As there was still time before Elisa returned from her classes, Jackie approached the mirror to check her appearance. Her hair had grown since summertime, and now her locks touched her shoulders. Red and golden paper flowers decorated her head – a present from Laura. To make her image brighter, she wore a red cardigan. It had no buttons, revealing her elegant black woolen dress and the heart-shaped pendant.

. She didn't notice how the door opened. She watched Elisa in the mirror, approaching her from the back.

"You look terrific!" Elisa smiled. "What's the occasion?"

Jackie turned to face her. "It's my turn to give you a present."

"What present?"

Jackie touched her pendant. "Just a little magic."

She looked around the room with suspicion. "I hope this time it's nothing forbidden."

"Don't worry. It's a new spell." Jackie checked the wardrobe and took her black scarf. "Are you in?" Not waiting for an answer, Jackie walked into the chalk circle and sat.

Elisa followed her and took her place on the opposite half. "And how does it work?"

"First, use this." She gave her a black scarf. "You must cover your eyes."

Elisa paused, looking at the black cloth. It was good quality wool, made for the guardian's winter uniform. "And what will happen after?"

"We will read a spell together."

Elisa gave her a sad look. "Jackie, I don't want to hurt you –"

"Do you trust me?" Jackie asked.

"Of course. It's just –"

"You won't hurt me." Jackie smiled encouragingly. "I know you never will."

Elisa fidgeted. "I'm afraid my Gift might."

"We will move with small, baby steps." Jackie gave her a playful look. "I promise I'll be gentle."

"Fine." Elisa sighed and covered her eyes with the scarf. The world around got immersed in darkness.

"What do you see?"

"Not a damn thing."

"What do you hear?" Jackie's voice was calm and confident. "Tell me."

Elisa lowered her breath to focus on the sounds around her. "Besides your voice, it's the fire in candles."

"Very well. Do you feel its warmth?"

Elisa shrugged. "Maybe. A little."

"Now, tell me, could you notice this warmth with your open eyes?"

"Maybe. If I paid close enough attention." Elisa bit her lip in impatience. "Should I try to blow the candles now?"

"No, you shouldn't touch the candles."

"Why?"

Jackie moved closer, lowering her voice. "Because it's not how you tame your power. As you have a chance to experience, your vision only distracts you. But when you stop thinking of what you see, you start paying attention to what you feel."