Chapter 14. A Wish

"Just focus on this damn wick." Theo pointed at the thick lilac candle on the floor among the islands of white and yellow wax chips. "When you close your eyes, you must feel this connection. It's just you and the wick."

"Okay, I've got it." Elisa shook her right hand. Her palms burned after two hours of unstoppable practice, but she couldn't give up. Not on the last day of their training.

"It's the last candle we have left in your room." Theo reminded her. "And as far as I know it, this was Urchin's present to Jackie, A Lavender cloud. Expensive thing, I must say. If you burst it, she'll be mad at you."

"Then I have no choice but to do it, right?" She gave him a hopeful look.

"Right." He nodded and walked behind her.

Today Elisa wore a black tank top and shorts, and her hair was tied in a knot. Rather practical than attractive, considering that she sweated a lot during their exercises. Meanwhile, she couldn't help noticing his greedy glances. It was another reason to finish their exercises as soon as possible - Theo would have more time for his meetings with the other females, and she would finally be able to touch Jackie. Elisa tried to be realistic and didn't hope for much, but even a slight touch would be bliss. To hold her hands in hers, or to hug her shoulders when she needed her support... How would it feel?

"Relax." His warm hands touched her naked shoulders. "You are like a guitar string!"

"Because I'll never make it." Elisa moaned.

"You'll do it. For her." He whispered over her ear.

Elisa closed her eyes, relying on her instincts as Theo had taught her. The wick was in the candle, and the candle was right in front of her. She imagined the waves of electricity gently touching the wick, lighting it up, and the room slowly filled with the scent of lavender. Then her power leaked through her fingertips, and Elisa released it.

Good, she didn't open her eyes. An explosion hit her ears, and the wax dust reached her face. Well, at least she was right about the aroma.

Theo sighed. "I won't tell her, I promise."

Elisa opened her eyes and wiped her tired eyes. Now the floor was covered with the lilac powder. "I'm hopeless."

"Maybe you just need some rest." Theo supported her. "You know, just switch into vacay mode when we leave. Chill, drink champagne at the ball, and talk to your friends. Next year we'll try again."

Elisa looked at her palms with pity. "Then that's it. Let's clean the place so Jackie won't get upset."

The door opened behind her, and Elisa stood motionless.

"Why would I get upset?" Jackie asked. Then she stared at the floor with wide-open eyes. There was one thing about her that Elisa couldn't stop admiring. At the moments when she was sad, her emerald eyes took a dark, marsh color, like now.

"Seriously?!" Jackie said in a voice full of disappointment. "Guys! My only present!"

Theo and Elisa exchanged glances in silence.

"Well, I think I'm gonna go," Theo said after a long pause.

"Go." Elisa waved to him.

"Not so fast." Jackie looked at him curiously. "So, Theo... You must be excited to see Rei."

"I am." He stopped at the threshold, unable to avoid the topic. "He grew up a bit, and now he has the size of a medium dog."

"Kiddos grow too fast." Jackie chuckled.