Chapter 13. A Librarian

Just three days left before New Year's Eve, and the library was still open. Jackie walked into the citadel of knowledge and looked around, holding her breath. After four months of studying in this building, this place couldn't stop impressing her. The gorgeous books in leather covers stood on their shelves, waiting when someone would read their silent secrets.

It was quiet here, even more so than usual, mainly because the students had left home to spend time with their families for the winter break. Jackie didn't go home because of her reasons, but she wasn't going to waste her time.

Laura, a young woman with warm brown eyes and a long plait, was dusting the shelves. She waved her hand, and the dust broom flew above the top row of the books. Laura had been working in the library since mid-October, and they quickly found many themes to discuss. They both loved books, and Jackie read everything from applied magic to modern fiction.

"Hi, Laura," Jackie called her.

She turned to her and smiled. "Hey."

Jackie approached her and pointed at the top shelves, where the books for the next term rested under the high ceiling. "You've got the books for my spring classes!"

Laura nodded. "They just arrived today."

"That's good." Jackie rubbed her hands in anticipation.

The art of protective spells was never one of her strengths. She struggled a lot in autumn until Laura showed her the books, which helped her improve her concentration. Then, Jackie became better and passed the exams quite well. Now she wanted to practice more and had a unique chance to prepare for the following term to become the best in class. Even better than Theo, who seemed to know everything.

Laura gave her an apologetic look. "Sorry, but I'm not allowed to give you these books now."

"Are you sure?" Jackie asked with a hint of hope in her voice.

"Yes, the rules are strict," she replied. "But I have something different for you. I think you'll like it!"

Jackie followed her to the reception desk, where Laura took the massive book from the drawer. This book had a thick grey cover and golden curly letters on it. Gifts Exchanging. Techniques and Rituals, she read.

Jackie raised her eyebrows. "Seriously, is that possible?"

"It is, but of course, all Gifts work differently. That's why the book is so big. This is actually a manual for the second year of studies."

"Oh, I see." Jackie nodded. "You are not allowed to give us books for the upcoming term –"

"But they said nothing about the future ones."

Jackie touched the book's smooth cover, impressed by its elegant design. "Aren't you a smart ass?"

"I guess so." Laura laughed. "As I say, rules are for people who are not too inventive to go around them."

"Oh, it would be so nice to get into it." Jackie smiled, hugging the book. "Isn't it weird? There are several thousand textbooks and manuals here, but I couldn't find one to help Elisa control her power."

"That's why I gave it to you." Laura lowered her voice as if someone could overhear them. "This spell can let you use her Gift without touching her."

"Okay." Jackie frowned, thinking. "But how will it help?"

Laura shrugged. "Sometimes, you need to experience something personally to understand it better. Like the taste of food or the smell of a flower. The same with other people's magic. You are a mind reader and might figure out how to tame a power like hers."