Chapter 35

Lester takes Marcel to another secret room at the castle.

"Another room?"

"It's more than just a room."

"What is it?"

As they both enter the room, they see a really huge mirror inside.

"What's that supposed to do? Tell me that I'm the fairest one of all?"

"Well... Not really."

The both of them approach the mirror.

"It can show you anything that you wish to see from the past."

Marcel becomes mystified by what Lester tells him.

"Well that is interesting!"

"I know. The last thing that I want to do is to look back on what happened to me." said Lester.

Marcel looks at him.

"I don't know if I'm ready to know what happened with my father." Marcel tells the prince with a terrified look on his own face.

"Well, I think you deserve to know the truth. After all, this mirror is no use to me. But it can give you your only chance in finding out about everything."

With a deep breath, Marcel then begins to speak in front of the mirror.

"I want to know everything about my father."

A magical aura suddenly surrounds the mirror as it projects a series of events upon the glass.

Marcel discovers that his father had another family, and that he chose that other family over them. That's why he left him and his mother when he was still an infant.

Without his father providing anything, he and his mother struggled financially for so many years, but eventually, their lives became stable when Cain gave his mother the opportunity to own a business.

Marcel gains a realization.

"You're thinking deeply again." Lester pointed out to him.

"Oh my goodness. Now I know why she wanted me to marry him."

"Marry who?"

"The captain at my village. Mother would always try to persuade me in marrying him, and I never understood why."

"But do you even have feelings for him?" The prince asked.

"No. Not at all." Marcel answered him.

"But now I understand. She only wanted me to pay the debt that our family owed him in the first place."

"But you don't have to, especially if it isn't your obligation." Lester pointed out.

"Why would you force yourself into something that you don't even want to do?"

Marcel will then contemplate for a moment.

"Marcel, don't you ever try to be like me. You have the privilege to fight for what you want. I couldn't fight for what I wanted, and when I tried, I ended up being a rotting corpse."

"Yeah, no denial there." Marcel responds.

"All I'm saying is that you do deserve the best. But that doesn't include something that won't make you happy."

Marcel begins to smile.

"I'm also sorry about being too harsh on your mother. I didn't know that she had to go through all of that."

"It's okay. Thank you for giving me a chance to know the truth."

Lester smiles back at him.

"I think we should sleep now." Marcel reminded.

"Yeah, let's go." Lester responds.