Chapter 36

A bunch of days have passed, and it's almost Christmas.

Theodore is busy in fixing some papers at the Barangay office.

As he walks by the corridor, he overhears his boss talking to one of his henchmen.

He hides behind a wall to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"If Marcel isn't back, at exactly 9pm on Christmas Eve, we will go straight towards their house. We'll send that woman to the psych ward. You hear me?" Cain tells the henchman.

"Yes sir."

"Good. The last thing that I could tolerate is a person who couldn't stick to an agreement."

Theodore gets shocked about what he discovers, and secretly plan to go to Emmita's residence to warn her about the captain's plan.

At midnight, when it's guaranteed that everyone is already asleep, he wears a disguise, and goes to Emmita's house.

"Emmita! Emmita!" He calls out at the gate.

Surprisingly, she was still wide awake.

"Can I help you?"

Theodore takes off his face mask, revealing himself to Marcel's mother.

"Theo-"

"Shh!" He says.

"What are you doing here?"

"I need to tell you something, but we need to be inside."

And with that, Emmita lets him in.

She prepares some tea for him as he settles down at the dining table.

"Emmita, you have to get ready."

"Why?"

"It's Captain Cain. He's planning to get rid of you if Marcel doesn't come back by Christmas eve."

"What?"

Emmita begins worrying.

"But I can't say when will Marcel come back. He's literally serving for the Cursed Prince!"

A moment of silence falls between the two of them.

"You believe me, right?" She asks him.

"Of course I do. Can't you send him a letter though? So he can go back home?"

"I can't. The prince declared that no one would be able to communicate with anyone who works inside the castle. I tried sending some letters to see if he was bluffing, but I haven't heard from my son. So it means... He really meant what he said."

"So.. What do you plan to do?" Theodore asks.

"Well... I guess I'm just gonna have to accept my fate. After all, my son is in less worse hands than me. He'll be fine. Even if I tell the police, most likely they'll just stick to the captain's side."

Theodore grows silent.

"But thank you for telling me, Theodore. I really appreciate it. But I don't want you getting in any more trouble. You need to go home now, and just forget about me."

Silence becomes louder between the two of them.