The Ritual

Someway or another, Elias surprisingly convinced them but what was strange was that he wanted to keep some certain people sticking around like his old friends. What was the game suppose to do with them? or did they just feel bad?

What Elias did was that by saving electricity, he obliged to light a tiny candle with a lighter he uses to ignite his cigarettes centered in the cafeteria where the board game was as they sat circling it. Kind of like a seance.

As they left everything untouched until at the very end, if Elias is willing to clean it up himself if it doesn't work or if it does as a little bet.

It was six of them, Elias leading. Holding his hand was Emmy as much as he enjoyed her touch but Emmy didn't mind it and was not at all thinking about their past relationship, Carolina was holding his didn't want to hold her ex's or breathe in the same air as him nor Zelda probably but Elias bothered Carolina as much as it irritated her.

Zelda and Topanga, the most unproblematic of them all. At least, that's what Emmy and Elias think since, Zelda use to date Duke when they were just in the 6th grade with Carolina acting a little envious.

"So, what is this stupid kiddy game that we have to play with you? I thought we were over having slumber parties." Carolina mutters.

"It's not just some 'stupid kiddy game' as you might call it." He raises his brows and continues, "It sort of resembles the Ouija board, the directions has its similarities and differences but it's pretty explanatory. You all follow my lead in reading this latin chant which we've been sold on and whatever happens, happens." He smugly shrugs like nothing bad was going to happen if a board game looked oddly similar to the Ouija board.

Emmy chimes in, "Are you sure if this safe, Elias? This seems ancient. It's old, dirty, and dusty. I don't think it was meant to be buried up." As she examines.

"Yeah, man. I mean, where did you find this stuff?" Duke asks in bewilderment.

Elias replies, so confidently, "I have my resources."

"Yeah, in Sister Greta's lair." Carolina jokes as it caused everyone like Topanga, Zelda, and not so much of Duke but him to grin. To shock Carolina more, not so much of Emmy either. Clearly, what was on her mind was that she was hesitant about all of this but she thought it would be best to keep quiet.

What will go wrong? She questions to the voice in her head.

"Okay, it's not funny guys." Still, they were finding Carolina's joke very humorous. It was clear that, Elias was embarrassed.

As, Zelda annoyingly blurts, "Can we get started already? I'm trying to go to bed."

"Amen to that!" Topanga randomly shouts and they both chuckle to each other once more. This wasn't taken seriously at all until Elias had to force himself to shout to everyone included for his attention.

"ENOUGH." Making everybody scarily stare at Elias and Emmy to flinch.

Calmly, he collects himself, coughing for a few tries to feel his throat become normal, "Let's move on?"

"Shall we?" and they shall.

Most of them sighed but proceeded to corporate with Elias in standing still especially, holding their hands around the candle and around the board.

The thing about the Castle Church students was that they were forced to learn latin chant's in certain lessons. So, learning this one was easy for Elias as for the rest of them. One by one, they repeated after him thinking of no other.

And once, they were finished.

Zelda blurts, "Is anything gonna happen?!" Immediately, that's when the earthquake began. The building slightly shook with them included where they held on tight to each other's hands till it stopped at the two minute mark. All the students and staff felt the rumble yet, they didn't bother to think too much of it knowing that they were tired and seemingly a little earthquake can be common specifically, in California.

Now, that the earthquake disappeared.

"Was that a sign it worked? That earthquake?" Topanga wonders, looking around to the others for assurance.

"Don't we have earthquake's in California?" Carolina says, everyone almost everyone was shocked. Scared even.

Topanga responds, "Rarely." but until, Elias interrupted her, "Yeah, but I guess we were one of them." trying to get up. His eyes glistened from the bright lights that were on due, to him being scared half to death.

"Well, if that was just a normal earthquake. Then, this was a fucking joke." Duke was fuming as he was the first to go breaking the circle by unlatching his hands from Carolina and Zelda to leave the room.

"Wait, Duke. Come back." Elias tried to catch up to him but it was no use.

As, Duke murmurs, "Nah, man." turning to him for one last time until he officially left.

The second to third to leave was Zelda and Topanga, "I should've went home when I could." Once they had gotten up, Elias was trying hard to convince everyone not to leave once more with those forced puppy dog eyes and begging on his knees for forgiveness.

He was sliding his knees and reaching out his limbs.

And finally, saved the best for last, "Yeah, come on, Emmy. We should've gone to bed when we could." Emmy felt remorse for him because somewhere, Elias had a heart that he wanted to prove something. But she also knew that this wasn't one of them with a wake-up call perhaps.

"Emmy, come on!" Carolina was already out the door, motioning her hand for Emmy to follow her but Emmy herself was walking up to Elias to make sure she got her last word.

He perks up with the softness that touched his eyes and the slight pout on his lips, "Emmy?"

"This has to stop, Elias. You can't just keep doing this." She lightly nods her head in disappointment.

"Tormenting Carolina and Duke about their past relationship. Even though, they've been broken up for almost a decade and you telling people that we are still together which is highly untrue but the day at the play proved otherwise. Now, you pull out a knock off Ouija board for us that practically doesn't work?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?" And she turns back around to Carolina. Carolina with a big smile spread out on her mouth like she was proud to see, she let it all out. She awaited to grabbed her best friend's hand as they head back to get some shut eye.

Elias still stood standing on his knees, not leaving his spot but he was in fact, saddened and flabbergasted, dramatically he shouts, "But EMMY!" reaching out his hand like it was some type of movie that he was in with all the cleaning that he needed to do.