not so bad

"bloody hell, harry!"

you ran onto the quidditch field to meet your boyfriend. malfoy had knocked him right off of his broomstick and he'd landed on his arm, tumbling over himself. yeah, that arm's not supposed to bend that way.

hagrid tried to tell you to stay away but you dropped to his side, extremely worried. "love, are you alright?" harry groaned and gave you a thumbs up but immediately winced. hagrid picked him up, announcing that he'd be taken to madame pomfrey. "i'll let you know when you can see him, y/n." the man told you and left with your boyfriend in his arms.

instantly, you turned to shove malfoy forcefully and he jumped. "ow! piss off, l/n, that wasn't my fault!" you scoffed and crossed your arms. "if you weren't a petty prat who was out to get him all the time, he'd be fine!" malfoy glared at you and snarled. "you can't talk to me that way."

ugh.

"i just did, you bastard. now if you'll excuse me, i'll be making my way to the infirmary to see my boyfriend." harry was already up and about when you arrived. his hand was bandaged and his arm in a sling but he insisted he was fine. although he seemed sure of it, there was absolutely no way you'd let him off scott free.

he continued to argue that he was alright and the git even wanted to go back to see the end of the match. "harry james potter, you are going to come back to my dorm and rest ─ that is the end of it!" he quieted his objections and came with you, ron making gestures to make fun of him as he left.

on the way down to your room, you held his hand and harry assured you once more, "i'm alright, y/n, really, it's not so bad." your voice softened and you sighed, opening the door to your room. "i just got worried, okay? it's scary being with you. i love you but 'm always terrified i'll lose you." you admitted, plopping down on your bed and inviting him to follow.

he laid beside you with his arm positioned atop a pillow and he stroked your cheek. "you're not going to lose me darling," harry promised. "i love you and i won't leave you." you smiled gratefully and sighed. "look at me, making all this fuss about a quidditch accident. madame pomfrey did say, however, to change your bandages so i should do that," you propped yourself up to retrieve a first aid pack and a glass of water.

after he took a few sips, you bounced back onto the bed. you unwrapped his hand tenderly and focused carefully on cleaning him off. it was then that harry decided it'd be good for you if he let you take care of him. it wasn't so bad, no. but in your mind it wasn't just a quidditch accident. it was the first of many times you'd have to patch up the boy who lived. the first of many times someone would hurt him.

harry wanted to put you at ease ─ let you feel useful, since he couldn't make you believe it on his own ─ and that's what he'd do. harry watched your eyes scan his bruises sadly and let you stroke his cuts soothingly. with care, you took the clean bandage and wrapped him up before kissing his hand and smiling somewhat weakly. "better?" you whispered. "better." he assured.

harry shifted and laid his head in your lap, to your satisfaction. you took your hands in his tussled hair, toying with his brown locks and massaging his scalp softly. his eyes fluttered closed and he hummed quietly, making your heart flutter with love. you left a chaste kiss on his forehead and kept playing with his hair, only stopping to bring a blanket over his legs. every stroke layered with admiration for the boy in front of you as you touched him innocently, coaxing both of you to know you'd be alright.

ten minutes you sat with your fingers atop his head and mumbled poetries to him. eventually, you made your way underneath the blanket and wrapped your arms around him. harry's body ─ as if it knew ─ intertwined with yours without thinking. your legs tangled with his and he laid on your chest.

"no matter what happens, i am always going to be here harry." you couldn't quite explain why every little thing terrified you, though you both knew deep down. "i'll always be waiting for you, my love. thank you y/n." the two of you drifted off to sleep and there wasn't any sense of dread in either of you.

perhaps harry was right. so long as you're with him, then you're home and safe. just together... it's really not so bad.