Enemies

Twenty house points from Gryffindor" Snape hollered, glaring at Harry who'd just now opened a folded note I passed him that I had enchanted to scream loud Slipknot music for two hours with no way to stop it even if you ripped it into shreds.

From the corners of my eyes, I could see his knuckles turning white as he gripped the desk, steam practically pouring out of his nostrils with the amount of sheer rage he was holding in.

I smirked to myself at the sight, knowing it was another win for me.

Harry and I have somewhat of a reputation around Hogwarts, and not the good kind. If you ask anyone in the castle they'll scoff and give you a three-page essay on how much we despise each other with countless stories to prove it.

For example, one time he pushed me into the black lake for no reason when I was studying astronomy with my friends, so I jinxed him and sent him to the hospital wing which cost Slytherin fifteen house points and caused me to get three weeks detention. What nobody tells is that I didn't mean to actually hit him with the jinx, it was supposed to be more of a threat than anything, but my wet hands caused the wand to slip. I tried apologizing the next day, but it seemed that he'd already made up his mind against me, so I didn't bother. Thats when the war really started.

Another time, Harry tripped me when I was walking into potions, so I fell on my face in front of everyone, causing students to laugh and me to curse from the harsh impact. It cost me three house points. So, I slipped some extra ingredients into his cauldron to make it blow up in his face. It cost him ten house points. This time it wasn't a total accident, but I had only meant to make his potion change colors, I didn't expect it to explode.

He was usually the one to start it, so I didn't feel guilty for returning the same treatment. Especially because I did it better. Now it's kind of turned into a free for all and things only escalated. Honestly, I don't even remember disliking him before all of it started. In fact, I thought he was a pretty nice boy. Oh, how wrong I clearly was.

I see him walking down the hall as I'm headed to class with my friends, and I ignore him so I don't have to deal with an argument. Today had been a long day and I really wasn't in the mood to deal with him right now.

The next thing I know, the blonde boy beside me opens his mouth. "Oi Potter! Fan of metal, are we?"

You little shit.

Harry and his friends turned towards us groaning. I reluctantly turned to face them as well, hoping to not have to speak.

"Your house points are dropping like wildfire, Potter. Wonder if your little girlfriend can save your winning streak this time?" he said stupidly.

Pansy was about to speak up, but before I could process what was happening words were pouring out of my mouth with an alarming level of volume.

"Would you lay off him?"

My own eyes went wide as I processed what I'd just said. Harry and his friends snapped their heads in my direction, confusion written all over their faces. I had never been the one to start it, but I had also never been the one to stop it before. Even I was shocked at my actions.

My friends stared at me with pure confusion but didn't say another word as my feet quickly carried me away.

__________

A week had passed since then and nobody had brought it up, nor have either of us taunted each other. Everyone in the school seemed to be skeptical of the sudden lack of chaos as if it were some kind of elaborate trick. Harry avoided me at all costs, and I was grateful that he was sparing me the embarrassment.

It's not like I ever really hated him, or even disliked him in the first place. I just couldn't bring myself let him win the stupid little competition we had created for ourselves. In fact, I actually had always found him quite cute but that had all gone out the window once my pride was brought into it. Now looking back on it, it all seems sort of silly.

As I was walking to my next class, I heard familiar laughter coming from outside. As I made my way towards the noise I saw that it was Draco and Harry bickering, per usual. They had a much more intense rivalry than he and I ever did.

Without thinking, I felt myself moving towards them. I started being able to hear what the argument was about.

"I don't have time for this today, Malfoy." Harry said, clearly irritated and tired

"Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you were such a busy man Mr. Potter! You probably have interviews lined up all evening."

"Would you bugger off?" I said, again without thinking. I don't know what's gotten into me lately or why my friends seem to be getting especially on my nerves.

Draco's brows knitted together in confusion and Harry stared at me with a small smile and curious eyes. The blonde looked back and forth between us a few times before rolling his eyes so hard is whole head lolled back dramatically with the action.

He then started shuffling off towards the castle muttering things along the lines of, "She's mad, that one." and, "If I have to start hanging around Potter I might just pitch myself off the astronomy tower."

I couldn't quite make out what that meant at the time since I was still frozen in place after my little outburst. Harry caught my attention with a small cough. I looked over at him to see him still smiling at me, scratching the back of his neck.

"That was quite unexpected, coming from you." He started, almost anxious

I scoffed slightly, "You could say a 'thank you'." I quipped back, not really knowing why I felt the need.

He laughed a little, "That's more like it." he smiled, hands playing with the hem of his robes.

"Thank you."

My eyes snapped up to meet his smiling ones, not expecting him to actually say it. I was actually expecting something much less civil. I never noticed how pretty his eyes were until then, or how good he looked when his hair was all messy like that. I forced myself to look back down at the grass to avoid the slowly rising blush on my face.

What the hell is going on. This is Potter. Pull yourself together, I thought.

"I was just headed down to Hagrid's to meet my friends. You should come." he offered kindly

I looked back up to him, my face scrunched up in confusion.

"I don't know if that such a good idea."

"Why not?" he asked as if it wasn't obvious

"Well for starters, your friends don't like me very much-" I started before he cut in, "They don't know you yet, and to be fair, you didn't make the best first impression." he joked, and I laughed. I actually laughed.

That was the first time I hadn't gotten angry at him interrupting me or even speaking in my general direction.

"-and besides, I didn't think you liked me very much either." I finished quietly

He softly smiled at me again, "Well, I know really know you yet either, but considering you've decided not to jinx me the past few times we've run into each other I think maybe I'd like to."

I chuckled as smile crept up onto my face as I felt my stomach do a little flip. "Well in that case, I don't see why not." I said, following him down the hill to Hagrid's Hut.

_____________

That was the start of our friendship, and the beginning of what would be many more years together.  I soon found out that our whole rivalry was based off of a misunderstanding in the first place. He had never meant to push me into the black lake or trip me on my way into class at all, they were all just accidents that I had mistaken for cruel tricks. Draco did end up having to hang around Harry since I refused to choose between my friends and my boyfriend (because that would be pathetic), and he did not pitch himself off the astronomy tower.