Chapter 3

Ruby started cackling and I didn't know whether that was because of the situation or because of the alcohol. I turned bright red and drank the rest of my beer.

"Come on, you've gotta talk to her," Ruby said and wiped her cheeks. She'd teared up because of the laughter and I gritted my teeth, it wasn't all that hilarious to me, because for a second there, I'd actually been into the idea of this game. Just a split second, though, because I now realized just how absurd and weird it was.

"This was supposed to be a fun night, Ruby. What is she doing here?" My eyes followed Miss Mills' every move. She walked elegantly, far too elegant for a place like this. Some men stared at her with a lustful smirk on their lips and I had to say, though I didn't approve of their behavior, I did understand it.

She was dressed the same as in school, but the setting made her look much more attractive. The strict principal outfit looked intimidating at school, but sexy in the red light of the bar. Her skirt was tight, showing the nice curves of her calves and..

When I realized I was thinking of my boss, a woman, in a way that I shouldn't have been, I turned even redder and quickly brought my gaze back to Ruby. I'd started to sexualize Miss Mills and I'd never felt this much like a criminal before.

"Emma, you're the only one capable of sticking up for her. And you know, you've got something to talk about already, because she's not a complete stranger. I don't see how this could be worse than anyone else walking through that door," Ruby lightly said and I rolled my eyes.

"You just want me to do say something stupid and embarrass myself."

"Very much, yes," Ruby said, looking delighted.

"Well, at least you're honest," I said. I cleared my throat and did a small step forward, towards Miss Mills. "I still need to discover her first name, so wish me luck."

I didn't know why I was going to start a conversation with Miss Mills. She was the last person I wanted to see on a Friday night that was supposed to relax me, but I figured I might as well try to get her first name. The worst thing that could happen was giving Ruby a fun night, because I'd do something embarrassing.

"Hi," I said and took place on the still next to Miss Mills. She looked at me and more than a flicker of recognition wasn't visible on Miss Mills' face. She didn't seem unpleased nor delighted to see me.

"Miss Swan," she stated. "I hadn't expected to see you here."

"It is Friday night. It's not very uncommon to spend that in a bar," I said. "You can call me Emma, by the way."

Miss Mills observed me for a moment and took a sip of her drink. It was a cocktail of some sort, but I didn't recognize the exact drink. She eyed the bartender, who was staring unashamedly at us. Her red hair was tied in a pony tail, but quite a few strands hang loose. She seemed kind, but it was odd to have her staring at us like this.

"What, uh, what's your first name?" I asked. I'd never been very subtle and the only way I felt I could uncover her first name was to just ask, straightforwardly.

Miss Mills turned to me and a soft sigh escaped her plump lips. She wore a nice, dark tint of lipstick, applied impeccably, but I hadn't expected anything less from a woman like her.

"Miss Swan, though this encounter is outside of school, I feel no desire to engage in small talk with my employees and create personal relationships with them."

I squinted my eyes and ordered another beer. The redhead seemed happy to help me, happier than she seemed with other customers. I was pretty certain she was listening to every word of our conversation, which seemed rather rude.