Chapter 33

I rarely dressed up, because I didn't often have to. Though, when I stood here in a gorgeous dress, with Regina by my side, celebrating love, I realized I wanted to dress fancy more often.

Neal had invited me and Regina both to his wedding and naturally we'd come. Frankly, I'd expected them to get married much sooner, but apparently it'd taken them quite some time to put it all together.

They'd succeeded at putting it together very well. Plenty of people were invited, many I still remembered from when I'd been going out with Neal and the food was absolutely delicious. I was still convinced people only attended wedding for the food.

Tamara was almost due. She had an enormous belly and glowed with happiness and back pains. I didn't quite understand how they'd thought planning the wedding in September when the baby was supposed to arrive in October was a good idea, but Tamara seemed to be handling it just fine.

Henry and Luke were playing with some kids. The majority of people present were adults and thus there wasn't a lot to do for children, but when I looked at them I could tell they were amusing themselves.

It was a beautiful ballroom, with high walls and marble floors. Much like Regina's parents' house. Everyone looked beautiful too, but no one compared to Regina. She was wearing an elegant, dark blue dress that hugged her curves and accentuated her cleavage. Her accessories matched and were prominently visible and her hair was neatly styled in a bun. She was breathtaking.

I'd filled my plate with food. Whereas everyone else had dumped all kinds of vegetables on their plates, I didn't hate myself and had gone straight to the chocolates. I put one in my mouth and smiled at Regina.

"God, have you tried these? They are delicious!" I said and moaned, gaining a glance from a few people surrounding us. I couldn't care less, though. "Here, try." I grabbed another chocolate off my plate and held it in front of Regina who quirked an eyebrow.

"Did you eat anything that wasn't meant as a dessert?" I shook my head as I pressed the delicacy against Regina's lips. She opened her mouth, seemingly reluctant, and ate the chocolate. She liked it, I could tell, and as soon as she'd swallowed it, she confirmed my thoughts.

I'd just stuffed my mouth full with chocolate, when I felt someone tap my shoulders. I turned around to see a face I recognized, but couldn't immediately connect to a name.

"Emma," the woman said and I smiled as I shared a confused look with Regina. I moved a little closer to my girlfriend, until I could feel her body against mine. Sometimes that was all I needed to calm down. "I think I haven't seen you in over a decade."

I nodded slowly, while chewing my chocolate. Fortunately, as long as my mouth was still full, I couldn't say anything. It gave me some extra time to think on who the hell this woman was that was talking to me and clearly recognized me.

"It's nice seeing my grandson again after all those years," she showed a genuine smile and that's when I realized this was Neal's mother. The woman had never liked me and even now there was judgement in her voice, though it wasn't my fault her son was unstable and couldn't keep up a normal bond with his son.

"Yes, I can imagine," I said, after having swallowed all the chocolate. I was quite certain there were still many pieces clinging to my teeth, and so I took Regina's water from her hand and drank it all at once, rinsing my mouth. "He's big, huh?" I said as I gave Regina back her empty glass.

She put her arm around me and soothingly stroked my hip with her thumb. "I don't really understand why you've been keeping him from us," Neal's mother said, and she sounded accusatory.

I was in no mood for this conversation and I actually just wanted to walk away. "I haven't. He's at Neal's place once a month, if it was his decision not to invite you over, that's on him to blame. I don't mind Henry meeting you."