Chapter 27

We'd decided to meet up at the restaurant. I was already sitting at our table, but I'd arrived ten minutes early. It felt like it was taking Regina forever to arrive, but only a minute had passed.

I'd asked my parents if they were okay with Henry staying over a bit longer than usual. I'd told them about the date, but I'd forbidden them to tell Henry anything about it. I didn't need him to know about my dating life, unless it became actually serious.

My parents had had many questions, though. I knew they must hold some judgement, but they hadn't shown the slightest hint towards it. They'd asked me repeatedly if it work would be alright if the dynamics changed. I'd told them it probably wouldn't change more than it already had and thus far, Regina and I had both survived.

When I noticed Regina entering the restaurant, I realized I hadn't been quite prepared to see how she dressed for dates. Regina and I had had dinner before, she'd once dressed provocatively to tease me, her outfits were always on point and I'd literally seen her naked, but she'd never quite caught my attention like she did right this second.

It wasn't just the clothes she was wearing, a simple dark blue, almost purple, dress with black heels and a pearl necklace. What caught my attention most, was the fact that she immediately looked at me with a smile unlike any I'd seen her give me before. I knew Regina didn't hate me anymore, if she ever even did, but the thought that she might actually love love me had never crossed my mind.

I could see her eyes sparkle, even from where I was sitting, and I delighted in seeing her so genuinely happy. She walked with poise towards me, after talking to a waiter, and until she sat down, she didn't say a word.

"Hey," I said, suddenly feeling awkwardness creep up. I didn't want for it to be awkward, but having her undivided attention in a public place, wasn't something that had occurred often.

"Hi, Emma. I hope I didn't make you wait too long?" Regina kept smiling at me and I could tell she was only doing it, because she liked seeing me nervous. "You don't have to be so tense, dear. It's not a job interview."

"Then lose your Miss Mills voice," I said with a smirk. It was true that Regina spoke differently when she was working. She tended to use a more authoritative voice, one that was very much different from her regular voice.

She giggled softly and it was quite adorable to see. I hadn't expected to make Regina giggle this evening, but I was glad I had.

"I'll try my best," she said. "I have to admit something, Emma. It's been a while since I last went on a date with someone. A real date, I mean."

"Well," I said. "You know how long it's been for me. Don't worry, we don't need to stress about anything. We've hung out plenty before, it won't be any different this time."

I was right. After a couple minutes, we both let go of the pressure we felt to let this date succeed. We just talked and ate our food. I genuinely enjoyed myself a lot, mostly because everything felt so familiar and relaxed.

Regina paid dinner. I insisted on paying it, because she'd done so the first time we went to a restaurant together, but she wouldn't let me.

"The sky is pretty," I said, once we'd left the restaurant. The sky wasn't prettier than it usually was, it wasn't even clear enough to see the stars, but I said it anyway. Regina laughed softly and I felt her gazing at me. She hooked her arm in mine and I tugged her close to my side. "Thank you so much for dinner," I said and looked at her.

"You've only said that about thirty times before," Regina said. "Do you want to go to my place?" She sounded timid when she asked this and I hesitated. I tucked a strand of black hair behind her ear and cupped her cheek.