Chapter 31

I stretched my legs and looked at Regina. It had become routine for us to put the boys to bed and then enjoy the evening sun on the bench in the yard. It was the last day of the vacation here and I already missed it.

Regina and I hadn't had any more fights after we'd solved the first one. She was now using two sleeping pills at a time, which worked just as well. She'd promised me she'd visit a therapist when she'd get back home. I really hoped that that would help her.

"I really enjoyed our time here," I said softly and leaned against her. Regina put her arm around me and sighed contently.

"Me, too," Regina replied and I kissed her lips gently. It'd really felt as though the four of us had become a family, during the vacation. Getting the kids out of bed, making breakfast and dinner, helping them getting ready for bed, it all felt very natural, doing it together. My feelings for Regina kept growing and I knew I wanted to be in an official relationship with her, I just didn't want to pressure her.

Regina turned to me and I kissed her again. She cupped my cheek and I pressed my body as close to her as possible. The bench wasn't an ideal location to make out, but with Regina's lips against mine there was very little I could care about.

"I don't want this vacation to ever end," Regina said with a soft sigh and I nodded in agreement. "I slept well last night. I only took one pill."

"Really? That's great," I said, excitedly and kissed her again. Regina hadn't shown any change in behavior. I hoped that meant she didn't need the sleeping pills to sleep and that nowadays she only thought she did. I loved seeing her willingness to work on herself, even though she already was a great person. Especially considering all that she'd gone through. Regina was kind and sweet and I loved her. I just didn't have the balls to tell her, yet.

"Do you want to be in an official relationship with me?" Regina asked. I wasn't sure whether I'd heard it right. I couldn't believe she was asking me this, but I loved it. I loved that she felt ready to start this journey with me and I felt ecstatic.

"Yes, of course!" I exclaimed. "How come you're ready?"

Regina shrugged. "These past days have been wonderful. If this was just a glimpse of the life I can have with you, I want it. I know I'm not perfect and I know I'm going to make a lot of mistakes, but at least you'll be here for me. And I'll be here for you too, when you need me."

I kissed Regina passionately and pulled me close. "You really want to do this?" she asked. "Like my mother said, I'm a difficult woman to be with."

"Forgive me when I say I don't give a shit about your mother," I said and only after I said it, I realized just how hurtful that was. Fortunately, Regina merely laughed and nodded.

"I get that. I wish I could think the same," Regina replied and I grimaced. I wished there was something I could do to make things better between Regina and Cora, but seeing the damage the woman had inflicted on her, it seemed impossible. "But I don't want to talk about my mother on such a joyous occasion."

"You're my girlfriend," I said and I accidentally let out a giggle. It was an odd feeling, but I loved it. I hadn't been in a relationship in years and it felt somewhat strange, but also very natural. "What are we going to tell people at school?"

Regina chuckled and raised her eyebrows. "You can't enjoy something without thinking of the practicalities for just one second, can you? Let's talk about our colleagues later, I just want to enjoy this moment with you for a second."

"Me too," I replied and kissed her once again. I enjoyed kissing her, I enjoyed cuddling with her, I enjoyed being with her here and I didn't want this moment to stop. Her arm was around me, I could smell her sweet perfume and her heartbeat was loud. Everything in this moment seemed both real and surreal and I was enjoying every little bit of it.