Chapter 11

We passed trees, bushes and homes, but neither of us was saying anything. I didn't feel like it was my responsibility to start a conversation and Regina didn't look very happy. I didn't think I'd done anything wrong, though, and if I had, Regina could tell me herself.

I opened the dashboard cabinet, without asking. I was boring myself to death and I hoped that maybe Regina had some CD's we could turn on. She did have CD's, but it was all classical nonsense that nobody liked.

"Do you have any music that's from this century?" I asked as I looked at the same CD for the third time. I put it back and glanced at Regina, who didn't bother looking at me.

"Why would I?"

"Because it's fun to listen to," I replied as I closed the dashboard cabinet. Regina was about to say something, but I groaned before she could speak. "God, you're annoying! Who the hell has nothing but classical music to listen to, hates other people who only do them a favor and are so fucking good at ignoring people?!"

"I'll take that as a compliment," Regina said and flashed me a smile. "We're almost there, by the way."

I huffed and grabbed my phone. Neal had sent me a picture of Henry and Luke, who'd fallen asleep on the couch, while watching a movie. I texted him that I found it adorable and I smiled at the photo. I was having a horrible night, but at least my son was having fun.

"Why are you angry with me?" I asked as the hotel appeared. It looked very nice from the outside, but I had no desire getting in with Regina. Not unless this was fixed.

"I'm not angry with you," Regina said and shrugged. "I'm simply holding up a mirror."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you need to make a decision, Emma," she said and glanced at me for just a second. "Either hate me and stick to it or don't hate me and accept that. This whole "I hate you, but meanwhile I'm going to spend time with you" is starting to irritate me."

"Maybe if you'd just either be kind or a bitch, that decision would be easier to make," I snapped back. "You called me a bad kisser, there's not coming back from that. So, I guess I hate you now."

It wasn't true. I didn't hate Regina, but I didn't know why. I wanted to hate her, because that was far easier than half disliking her, half enjoying being around her, but I just didn't.

Regina stopped the car in front of the hotel and looked at me. "I didn't say it to offend you, I said it because it's the truth," she said with a shrug. "That's fine. We won't kiss again, but now that you know, you can do something about it."

I knew she was saying this only to annoy me, I could tell that much, but it still worked. I opened the car door and got outside. The sky was dusky and it was already pretty late, I could tell. I had no idea where we were exactly and I realized Regina could easily be plotting to kidnap me right now. At least I'd have an actual reason to hate her, then.

"You know, you're not a good kisser either," I said, suddenly. We were walking inside the grand hotel and I was looking around the hall. It was pretty nice, but I wasn't going to tell Regina that. "You didn't put in any effort."

"Because you basically ambushed me."

"It was your own fault for trying to drink," I said. "I had to come up with something, because you don't have any self control. Believe me when I tell you I'd hoped I was more creative. I want to forget about your awful kissing skills."

Regina looked at me, while excessively rolling her eyes and she sashayed toward the receptionist. I followed her and looked at the man behind the counter. He had a kind face, but his eyes kept travelling to Regina's bosom and that made me like him much less.