Chapter 9

The bar was in another room with just as many people. Regina and I had arrived a tad too late, so we'd missed the opening of the celebration and people were already drinking like there was no tomorrow.

Regina leaned against the counter of the bar, with a drink in her hand. She looked down at it and really seemed to study whatever drink she had inside of there. I made my way through the mass of people and grabbed the glass from her hand.

"You're not drinking," I said, but Regina grabbed the glass back.

"I haven't decided that yet," Regina said and looked me in the eyes. "I'd like you to go now, because as your boss I can't have you see me like this."

"As your employee, I want a full functioning superior. Not someone who's going to drown herself in alcohol and quit her job because she's got a relapse."

Regina brought the glass to her lips and I covered her mouth before she could drink it. People surrounding us started to watch and I realized I needed to retract my hand to make them think this was all very normal, but I refused to let Regina drink this whiskey, vodka or whatever it was.

She put the glass down and sighed softly. I slowly removed my hand from her mouth, though I still didn't trust her. She really was impossible sometimes.

"Emma, don't you understand how much I just.. need something right now?"

"Of course I do," I said in a hushed whisper, "but you don't need alcohol. It's only going to make things worse for you." We were talking softly and my body was almost pressed against hers. The room was made of white marble and had tons of space, yet I'd chosen to stand so close to Regina I could feel her breathe.

"I can control myself, Emma. This is none of your business," she grabbed the glass again, but before she could bring it to her lips, I kissed her. I removed the glass from her hand and set it down behind her, with my eyes closed, making sure she'd forget about that stupid drink.

I hoped Regina would forget about the drink, but I also hoped I would forget about this kiss. Regina's lips were soft and she kissed back for a second, before she pushed me away. She grabbed my wrist and took me to another room. This mansion was gigantic.

"What has gotten into you?!" Regina yelled and I didn't think I'd ever seen anyone look so angry, yet I couldn't feel too bad, because she wasn't thinking about that drink anymore. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

"Your mother thinks we're a couple anyway, I thought.."

"Well, you thought wrong. This was incredibly idiotic, Swan."

"Clearly nothing else worked. I was trying my best from keeping you to make a huge mistake. You're welcome," I said and smoothed my dress. "You're the first female I kissed."

"Oh, how was your experience?" Regina sarcastically asked with an eye roll. "You can't pull stuff like this again, Emma." She was silent for a second and exhaled louder than usual. "But thank you," she softly added.

"Now I want to see your childhood bedroom," I said with a smirk. "The people here suck anyway and I want to laugh at your style."

Regina started walking without saying anything and I followed her eagerly. We walked upstairs and a few people had come here before us. They were talking with drinks in hand. I didn't understand how there could be so many people here. I didn't even know this many people, let alone well enough to invite them over for a party to celebrate my anniversary.

But then again, image was everything to Cora Mills and she made sure everyone liked her.

"Your mother said she thinks you're beautiful," I said. "After you left."