Chapter 22

"What am I supposed to do now, though?" I asked and looked Regina in the eyes. She had her arms around my waist and mine were still around my neck. It felt oddly natural, though I knew I was only torturing myself with this. I should've continued staying away from her, but she was irresistible. "I can't just walk back in, pretending nothing happened."

Regina shrugged. "Why not? Just get back in, congratulate them and change the topic."

"You know, when I first met you I thought you'd be the reason I needed emotional support, not the one giving me it," I admitted softly. I thought Regina would at least take some offense at this, but she merely smirked.

"Hm," she said, "I guess I'm just really good in influencing people's opinions on me."

"You wanted me to dislike you at first?" I asked, genuinely confused and I was even more dismayed when she nodded. I couldn't quite comprehend how someone wanted people to dislike them, I felt incredibly unconfident when even one person showed any sign of negative feelings toward me. "I mean, I know you wanted to keep a distance between us and yourself, but you really wanted us to dislike you?"

"Not necessarily. I just wanted everyone to know not to toy with me, because I will hold my own," she stated with a smile. "And you know, people won't befriend people they don't like. It's so easy to get people to dislike you, much more than it is to get people to like you."

I adjusted the blanket around my body, while staring at Regina. I still didn't know how her brain worked, but I supposed I'd find out someday.

"Careful with that blanket, I don't want any dirt on it and make sure Luke doesn't see you, because I always forbid from even taking the blanket off the couch."

I chuckled softly and Regina kissed my cheek. "Come on, let's get back inside." She entangled her fingers with mine and pulled me back inside, but I still felt a tiny bit reluctant.

When we got back inside, I took a deep breath, released Regina's hand and opened the living room door. Tamara and Neal were sitting next to each other in silence, but it was clear they'd just had a discussion.

"Congratulations, Tamara," I said with a smile, that wasn't even forced. "Does anyone want anything else to drink?"

"Emma, don't you think we need to talk about this?" Neal tried, but I shrugged and looked at Regina. She sat down on the vacant couch and I decided to join her.

"No," I replied. "This is your decision, I don't see why I should be involved in this situation at all."

I could see Neal wanted to continue pushing this topic on me, but Tamara put her hand on his knee and that calmed him down. My mind was full of it all and I tried to think of other things, but it wouldn't work.

"How is it to have Regina as your boss?" Tamara tried as an attempt to change the subject. I shrugged and looked at Regina next to me, who seemed interested to know the answer as well.

"Cool, she's mean, but she does her job," I lamely responded and I could've really used a bottle of wine in the moment. It was a good thing Regina didn't have any alcohol in her house, because I wasn't ready for her to see me fully drunk, yet.

The conversation fell silent. Tamara noticed I wasn't in the mood to answer any questions, Regina put zero effort in it, at all and I couldn't blame her for that, and Neal was pouring in silence.

"You know what? Maybe this night has come to its end," Regina suddenly said, breaking the silence, and I let out a sigh of relief. Neal did, too.

"Probably, yes," Tamara said and got off the couch. I didn't bother getting up myself as well. I felt incredibly selfish for letting Regina take care of this, but I didn't want to see them out. I just wanted to lie on the couch and pretend Neal hadn't just told me he was going to be a father to another child.