Chapter 18

I saw Regina's face change from incredible uncertainty to very confident. She held a smile on her lips that made it seem as though there was nothing to worry about.

"I seem to have missed something," she said and raised her eyebrows. "What's there to process?"

It was fairly obvious she was playing dumb, but maybe not to Ruby. My friend let out a soft sigh and gestured at me and Regina.

"This whole thing. You two having sex and all. Yuck," Ruby said and the disgust was evident on her face. I couldn't blame her. If Ruby had told me she'd accomplished the challenge she'd dared herself to do, I'd feel just as disgusted.

Regina let out a scoff. "Who gave you that idea?" She asked it as if it was the most ridiculous thing anyone had ever uttered and it felt a little insulting. Though I hadn't expected it, the sex between us was great. She couldn't deny that, but I knew she had to right now.

"Emma just did..?" Ruby said and squinted her eyes in confusion.

"I never said that," I replied, pretending to be confused, but really, I just hated lying to my friend. For her sake, it was best, though. "I said we'd slept together in the same bed, last night. We didn't have sex. Why.. why would you think I'd have sex with my boss? That's ridiculous, Rubes."

Ruby let out a relieved sigh and started chuckling softly. "Emma, that.. is not what most people mean when they say they've slept with someone." I couldn't believe she was even considering this as the truth. My cheeks felt as though they were burning and it seemed impossible that she was actually buying this, but she was. "Thank God, I don't think I was ready for this combination."

I chuckled awkwardly and tensed my shoulders. "Anyways, that means you're free to go out with me tonight, right? We can get some drinks, hit on some people, hang out and talk," Ruby said and because I was so relieved she didn't continue talking about Regina and I, I immediately nodded. I wasn't really in the mood to go out, but anything to make up for the fact I'd just lied to my best friend.

Ruby looked at me with a smile and then glanced at Regina. Her gaze shifted between the two of us for a moment, before she got off the couch and embraced me. "Well, then, I'll see you tonight. That is, if you survive this afternoon with her."

Regina kept a blank expression on her face as I walked Ruby outside. "I'll see you at nine, then," she said, before I closed the door and leaned my back against it. Regina stared at me and adjusted her blouse.

"Well," she said, "that was a close one."

"I hope she bought it," I replied. I was pretty sure she did, but Ruby was always unpredictable and she was an excellent liar. I hoped the subject wouldn't come up tonight, but I knew it was inevitable.

She slowly stepped towards me and looked sternly at me. "Don't ruin it tonight," she said. "The whole lie is already hard to believe on her, but please don't let her find out. Once she knows, everyone knows."

I wanted to wrap my arms around her and because I couldn't find an argument as to why I shouldn't do that, I did. "Ruby can keep a secret," I said, "but I'll make sure she knows we're not sleeping together."

I wanted to kiss her, but Regina moved her head back. "I'm serious, Emma. If people find out I'm sleeping with employees, my reputation will be ruined."

"To be fair, I don't think that's true," I said and pressed myself against her. "I think you'll get a better reputation. Don't forget, people do like me. If anything, I am the one whose reputation will be ruined, after they find out I've slept with the evil boss."

Regina huffed and gritted her teeth, but I merely smirked. The people at school liked me a whole lot more than they did Regina and I didn't think it was bad to take advantage of that.