c o u s i n

Family meant everything to you.  They are your home, your comfort, and your safety. You would always forgive even if they made a mistake because that is what a family should do. Forgive and forget. 

Even if what they did cost you everything.

Growing up in a poor family, you were taught to be a filial child who would grow up to be an obedient child that supports her family. Everyone had to work at something to provide for the whole family. Whether it was small or big, as long as you work, you can sleep under a roof. 

It was harsh, but it made you become who you are right now. 

An office worker with decent pay. You rarely work overtime and when you do, you got paid for it.  It was tough to come all the way here but you did nonetheless. Your family worked day and night and soon the situation got better. The money left from the month was put to save for your tuition fees. You halted yourself from buying any unnecessary things. 

Your childhood was painful but worth it.

Now, you work to support your mother, your father, and yourself. Your father insisted on working but because of the hard work he did during his youth, it's now taking a toll on his back. Your mother still did a few things such as selling her knitting. 

After coming home from work, you're greeted by your mother who was making dinner for tonight. She was humming a tune that you often heard her sing before. It was usually when she was in a good mood. Your father was sitting down on the couch holding his phone, probably to look at the recent news. 

"Welcome home, dear. How was work?"

"As usual, boring. Nothing eventful really happened today. What about you mom? Something got you in a good mood?" You said while putting your bag down and walking towards the water dispenser for some water. 

"You remember Rin? The sweet child you used to play with? He's coming here tomorrow! The boy found a job around here so his parents wanted him to stay with us until he gets his own place. Don't worry about payment though, he said he'll pay half of the rent."

You stopped what you were doing and thought about Rin. 

The last time you saw him was back when the two of you were in middle school. The two of you had been close since little. Because he is your cousin, the two of you would often play together while your parents were catching up with each other. His parents were often out of town so they would let Rin stay at your house and the two of you would play and help each other with everything. 

He's younger than you by three years so you viewed him as the younger brother you never had. 

He was very childish, cheerful, and just a ball of energy. He could always make you smile, no matter the circumstances. Shame, you had to leave him since your father got a new job that was in the main city. 

You wonder how he's doing now. Is he still the same Rin you knew? Even if he changed, you do understand that a personality like that in the adult world is very exhausting. You just hoped he didn't change too much to the point of unrecognizable. 

"He should be here any moment now. Look! Is that him? Oh my god, he's so tall now!"

Your mother exclaimed as she pointed at the man that was walking in front of you with two suitcases in hand. The man was indeed very tall and his build was very slim yet muscular. You couldn't believe the small boy that would ask you to lift him up in your arms would grow to be such a strong-looking man.