CHAPTER EIGHTEEN : PLANS GO AWRY

Astra was sitting in the waiting room. It would be her turn to fight soon. She spent that time stretching and going through a few good strategies in her head. Strategies that she'd forget the moment she stepped onto the field.

[ And now for our next contestants!! Miss Astra Callisto and Puri Ravi!!! ]

Astra stood in the arena ready for a fight and when the battle began she knew almost instantly something was wrong.

Sharp eyes took in everything around her, the illusion, the barrier, the dark magic. Then something hit her from behind. She flew forward, twisting and landing on all fours. Lazy eyes drifted to the assailant. A male it would appear, in his late thirties maybe, something about his eyes though.

But then he was moving and she drearily sidestepped the man," What do you want?" Perhaps meditating before the games wasn't a good idea...

They stopped," This is an illusion I conjured, neat trick right?"

Astra stared at the illusion everyone else would think was true. Astra was getting her ass handed to her by his imaginary student basically. Shit. She whipped her head around and smiled lazily," So you want a real fight then?"

He smiled back all sharp angles and pearly white teeth. His vermillion eyes shone and with startling realisation she remembered where she'd heard of him from. Her hounds! They'd said something about Vermillion being a traitor, but to who? Her? Them? Or someone else?

Vermillian smiled," I see you know who I am?"

She shrugged," Not really."

And then she felt him behind her, pulling her hair tight, lifting her off the ground. Astra clawed at his arm with her elongated crystalian nails. He hissed and dropped her," The fuck do you want." Astra straightened her outfit, not in the least worried that he could have killed her, but more worried about the lint on her sports suit.

She brushed the imaginary lint off her shoulder and peered into his dark eyes, or at least she tried to. The wide brim hat he wore didn't help whatsoever.

Vermillion chuckled low, his sharp eyes landed on hers and he whispered," I'm gonna have to beat the shit out of ya'"

" Sorry."

Astra lazily dodged his blows and attacks, it wasn't until he used magic that Astra felt at a real disadvantage. Back to basics she was flicking shields into existence, only to have them destroyed a moment later.

Dark magic enveloped her and she screamed then. Voltage shocks cursed its way up her body and she struggled with the dark magic holding her. He walked towards her, a sly smile on his lips. His eyes shone with intelligence as he spoke.

With one hand on her chin he leaned forward and spoke quietly into Astra's ear," You've managed to piss all the bad guys off Astra.. well, Fairy Tail has at any rate."

She hissed at his touch and tried to back up to no avail, his grip tightened and he murmured," Be careful Callisto.. they're on a fairy hunt and they wont stop till they get what they want." Confused, she stayed quiet. Why would he share this? Did that mean the mages he betrayed were his own?

" If you're going to spy, be more discreet. And go lower, this stadium it would seem has many different layers."

With that he backed up laughing and wiped imaginary tears from his eyes," It's about time we finish this."

Astra stood still, ready for his attack. He surprised her when he disappeared with a wave of his gloved hand," Till next time."

The illusion disappeared and she was alone in the arena, painfully aware of the injured he'd inflicted on her. She was quick to cover them with an illusion. The bruises and blood stains on her uniform disappeared.