Chapter 12 - The Past

'At the time, I had lost my memories. All I could remember was a fatal blow and his face.' King thinks, stretching from his nap. 'I couldn't remember who he was, let alone who I was myself....I had forgotten everything.'

"Harlequin!" A voice yells, snapping him out of his trance. Two golems tower over King, making back away a bit and scream, "Monsters!"

Giggling could be heard from behind the golems as a little giant girl appeared from behind them. "Did I surprise you?" She asks, still giggling. "It's time to eat!"

'By the time I woke up, a little giant girl had saved me and took me in.' King thought to himself, remembering bit by bit.

At dinner time

"I made steamed pork and grilled pork, so eat up!" The little girl says happily. "No thanks, I'd rather stick to fruit." King tells her, politely declining her offer. "Really?" She asks. "Oh well, more for me!" She starts to dig into the grilled pork. "I really can't believe that you had a dream about sleeping while you were asleep! I guess that just means you really like to sleep, huh?" She says, talking while eating with food in her mouth. "So, do you remember anything yet?"

"Well, I sort of remember waking up in front of a big tree from a strange place." King explains. "So, that must mean that's where you used to live!" She exclaims happily. "Probably." King says, going back to eating his fruit. Diane's attention goes back toward the golems, who were looking at her expectantly. She looked a little confused before realizing that they needed their dinner as well. "Right, and here's Fillet and Roast dinner." She taps the ground, making mud rocks as the two golems start to dig in.

"I never imagined that you would make your own golems, Diane." King says. "But, they do say that giants have a strong connection to the earth, so I shouldn't be too surprised." Diane continues chewing on her pork leg as she starts to talk. "I've always been alone and I wanted some friends, so I guess that might be why I'm able to make them." She explains as she finishes eating the grilled pork. "But they can't talk and they only do what I tell them to, so...." She explains, a little sad. "But, I'm glad I was able to meet you, Harlequin!" Exclaiming happily.

"Same here to you too! If you hadn't found me in that river, who knows what might have happened to me." King says, happy to have met her. "Since you feel that way as well, will you become my friend one day?" She asks, hopeful. "What do you mean 'one day'? We're already friends!" He says, making Diane very happy and giddy. "Here, have some!" Diane says, holding the steamed pork in front of his face. "Oh no, it's fine. I really don't want any." He says, trying to deny her offer. "Come on! Just one bite!" She says, trying to get him to have at least a tiny bite of the pork.

--Time Skip--

'Even though I had lost my memory, that was a really happy time for me. That might be the reason for why I settled down there. But, I would never realize what might have happened during my time there.'

"Where could she be?" King asked himself, before hearing her voice and seeing her with a human. "Hey! Down here!" She yells, holding a cauldron full of soup. "Well, well, well, a fairy child!" The man says in amazement. "It's unusual enough just to see a Giant girl." King just ignored the man before telling Diane that they should leave.

Back at the cave

"So he was just giving you food?" King asked Diane. "Yep, he said that it was pheasant, mushroom, and nut soup." Diane explains, holding a spoon in front of him. "Here!" She says, giving him some soup before drinking the rest from the spoon herself. "Hey Diane...You really shouldn't put a lot of trust into humans." He tells her. "Huh, why not?" She asks, confused. "Well, that's because....." he starts, trying to find an answer. "Why do you think it's such a bad idea to trust humans?" Diane asks, her voice slowly fading into a familiar voice for King.