Chapter 27 - Matrona

She looked toward King, analyzing him. "Who are you?"

"King."

"King? You're not King. I know him and he's not a tiny little boy like you. He's more of a scrappy oafish blimp of a guy." She smiled.

"Well, I mean, yeah, that can be true." King said, looking a little mad.

"Diane, do you really not remember us?" You asked her.

"I remember Meliodas." She smiled in his direction.

"Has she ever called him that before?" Hawk whispered to you as you now noticed the pig.

"I don't think so." You whispered back. "It isn't like her."

A Little While Later

"Memory loss? It might be short-term amnesia caused by blunt force trauma to the head." Merlin said, a hologram of herself in front of Elizabeth, Meliodas, King, and Hawk.

"Lady Merlin, how did you get your body back?" Elizabeth asked the mage.

"I didn't. This is just an illusion to make things a bit easier." She explained.

"It's weird. Diane forgot that Elizabeth and Y/N ever existed, but she still remembers Meliodas."

"Been a long time since she called Meliodas instead of captain, though."

"Poor King. You should've seen how pale he was!" Hawk complained, dramatically, "And don't think I haven't suffered! I came this close to being eaten alive!"

Elsewhere

You were sitting next to Diane awkwardly as she kept close to herself. You were fiddling with your fingers as you tried to think of something to say.

"Where's Meliodas? I wish he'd get back here already." You heard Diane sigh.

"I'm sure he'll be back soon, Diane." You told her, smiling.

She looked at you, reassured but a dazed look soon took over. "Wait a second. Who is this Meliodas, anyway?"

"Huh? Diane, what are you talking about? You were just talking about him. He's your captain of the Seven Deadly Sins."

"The Seven what? Who's that? Tell me."

You started to panic. Why were her memories getting worse? You decided to go to the others and tell Merlin the issue. "Diane, I'll be back. Please don't go anywhere." You left before getting any confirmation from her.

With the Others

"We have a problem!" You burst into the room. "Diane is losing more of her memories. She was just talking about Meliodas and the next minute, she has no recollection of him."

"Hm...So, she keeps losing her memories. For now, let's just observe her." You six made your way to where Diane was but did not see her anywhere.

"Where did she go?" Elizabeth asked.

"Well, she left in a rush without saying anything." A told you all.

"But, I told her not to move." You whispered to yourself, squeezing your hands. "Do you know where she went?" You asked the knight.

"That's easy. Where she used to live before joining the Seven Deadly Sins." Gowther answered, appearing behind you all with Slader by his side.

"What do you mean?" King asked as you stood by his side in front of Gowther, anxious for an answer.

"I erased her memories using my Lost World ability. Wanting to learn about emotions, I manipulated Guila's memories. Diane strongly condemned me for doing so, and said "If you think memories are something you can just change, then you've got another thing coming!" So, as a test, I erased hers. As I predicted, they were quite easily removed. Memories are nothing but simple bits of information, after all."