Chapter 17

30th Of June, 1992

Harry made his way down to the end-of-year feast alone that night. He had been held up by Madam Pomfrey’s fussing about, insisting on giving him one last checkup, so the Great Hall was already full. It was decked out in the Slytherin colors of green and silver to celebrate Slytherin’s winning the House Cup for the seventh year in a row. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covered the wall behind the High Table.

When Harry walked in, there was a sudden hush, and then everybody started talking loudly at once. He slipped into a seat between Arcturus and Hermione at the Gryffindor table and tried to ignore the fact that people were standing up to look at him.

Fortunately, Dumbledore stood up at that moment. “Another year gone!” Dumbledore smiled brightly. “And I must trouble you with an old man’s wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully, your heads are all a little fuller than they were before. You have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts.

"Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points." As Dumbledore was saying, Gryffindors started to politely clap.

"And in third place, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two points." The Hufflepuffs clapped politely.

"And in second place, Ravenclaw, with four hundred and twenty-six points." The Ravenclaws showed more enthusiasm in their claps.

"And in first place, Slytherin, with four hundred and seventy-two points." As Dumbledore finished, giving points, a storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table. Harry could see Draco Malfoy banging his goblet on the table. It was a sickening sight.

After the feast had ended, they all went to bed, excited for tomorrow, because they would be going home.