Chapter 38

2nd Of September, 1993

Harry was pleased to get out of the castle after lunch. Yesterday’s rain had cleared; the sky was a clear, pale gray, and the grass was springy and damp underfoot as they set off for their first ever Care of Magical Creatures class.

Harry walked beside Arcturus and Hermione in silence as they went down the sloping lawns to Hagrid’s hut on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. It was only when he spotted three only-too-familiar backs ahead of them that he realized they must be having these lessons with the Slytherins. Malfoy was talking animatedly to Crabbe and Goyle, who were chortling. Harry was quite sure he knew what they were talking about. Hagrid was waiting for his class at the door of his hut. He stood in his moleskin overcoat.

"Come on, now, get a move on!" Hagrid called as the class approached. "Got a real treat for you today! Great lesson coming up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!" For one nasty moment, Harry thought that Hagrid was going to lead them into the forest However, Hagrid strolled off around the edge of the trees, and five minutes later, they found themselves outside a kind of paddock.

"Alright everyone" Hagrid said when everyone stopped "get your books out and turn to page sixty-four"

"Just how are we supposed to do that?" Malfoy asked sarcastically, holding up the biting book that was held shut with a belt.

"Just stroke the spine, dumbass" Arcturus sighed and stroked the book. He removed the belt and showed that the book wasn't trying to bite him. Malfoy turned a bit red but didn't say anything, he and everyone else just did as Arcturus said.

Hagrid strode away from them into the forest and out of sight. and after a while, came back "Say hello to Buckbeak," Hagrid said proudly as he brought a hippogriff towards the group. "Isn't he beautiful?"

"Hagrid, what the bloody hell is that?" Arcturus asked

"That Arcturus, is a hippogriff, the first thing you need to know about hippogriffs are they are very proud creature. Very easily offended, you do not want to insult a hippogriff, may just be the last thing you ever do. Now, who wants to say hello?"

"I do" Harry raised a hand, many people looked at him like he was mad. Harry stepped forward and made his way over.

"Well done Harry, it's nice to see you so eager to meet him" Hagrid smiled

"Now, the first thing you need to do is bow" Hagrid instructed "then you wait and see if he bows back, if he does then you can go and touch him. If not then…..well, we'll get to that later."

Harry nodded to show his understanding, he looked towards Buckbeak, looking him directly in the eye. He slowly arched his back, bowing enough to seem respectful. Buckbeak looked at him for a moment before deciding to grace Harry with his own bow.

"Ah, well done Buckbeak, well done!" Hagrid praised as he threw him a dead ferret

"And there goes one of Malfoy's brethren" Arcturus commented, causing giggles to go through the crowd along with snorts and suppressed laughter.

Harry slowly made his way forward, he made sure to keep his speed slow, so he doesn't startle Buckbeak. He raised his arm up and gently patted Buckbeak on the head, Buckbeak seemed to like it and nuzzled Harry's hand.

"Right then, Harry," said Hagrid. "I reckon he might let you ride him, but make sure you don't pull any of his feathers out. He won't like that"

Harry turned around while patting its head and looked straight at Daphne and asked, "Coming Daphne?" She nodded.

He went to her and tugged her along with him. Harry put her on the back of Buckbeak, and then he kept his foot on the top of Buckbeak's wing and hoisted himself in front of her. Buckbeak stood up. She hugged him as if her life depended on it. She was sure he had no idea where to hold on; everything in front of him was covered with feathers. "Go on, then!" roared Hagrid, slapping the Hippogriff's hindquarters.

Buckbeak ran and lifted up into the air, Buckbeak treated Harry and Daphne with a beautiful tour around the Hogwarts sky. He even flew above the lake, Harry couldn't begin to describe the joy he felt in the air.

Soon Buckbeak flew back and landed right where he originally stood, a few people cheered as Hagrid picked Harry and Daphne up and put them on the ground.

Emboldened by Harry and Daphne's success, the rest of the class climbed cautiously into the paddock. Hagrid untied the Hippogriffs one by one, and soon people were bowing nervously all over the paddock. Neville Longbottom ran repeatedly backward from his, which didn’t seem to want to bend its knees. While Arcturus and Hermione practiced on the chestnut, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle had taken over Buckbeak. He had bowed to Malfoy, who was now patting his beak, looking disdainful.

"This is very easy," Malfoy drawled, loud enough for Harry to, hear him. "I knew it must have been, if Potter could do it I bet you’re not dangerous at all, are you?" he said to the Hippogriff. "Are you, you great ugly brute?" It happened in a flash of steely talons; Malfoy let out a high pitched scream and next moment, Hagrid was wrestling Buckbeak back into his collar as he strained to get at Malfoy, who lay curled in the grass, blood blossoming over his robes.

"I’m dying!" Malfoy yelled as the class panicked. "I’m dying, look at me! It’s killed me!"

"You are not dying!" said Hagrid, who had gone very white. Hermione ran to hold open the gate as Hagrid lifted Malfoy easily. As they passed, Harry saw that there was a long, deep gash on Malfoy’s arm; blood splattered the grass and Hagrid ran with him, up the slope toward the castle. Very shaken, the Care of Magical Creatures class followed at a walk. The Slytherins were all shouting about Hagrid.