Chapter 18

18th Of August, 1992

Today, after almost a month, the Potters came back to the Potter Manor because it was vacation and they all went to travel. They went to many places, like Berlin, Paris, and Istanbul, and many other cities. It was definitely the best summer for the Potter kids.

As they arrived at the Potter manor, the house elfs greeted them. Then all of them sat down at the table and ate dinner, and after everyone was finished, everyone went to their own rooms.

As Harry went up into his room, Hedwig was already at the window, accompanied by the Hogwarts owl that carried his and his cousins' Hogwarts letters.

19th Of August, 1992

The next morning, everyone woke up a little bit late because everyone was tired after traveling, so when they woke up at 10 in the morning, Harry gave them their letters.

For a few minutes, there was silence as they all read their letters. There was also a list of the new books they needed for the coming year.

SECOND-YEAR STUDENTS WILL REQUIRE:
The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk
Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart
Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart
Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart
Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart
Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart
Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

Arcturus, who had finished his own list, peered over at Damian's. "You’ve been told to get all Lockhart’s books, too!" he said. "The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher must be a fan."

After everyone had finished reading their letters, it was decided that after breakfast they would go to Diagon Alley to buy the supplies, so they all went to eat breakfast. After breakfast, they all dressed up and gathered in front of the floo.

One by one, everyone floo'd to Diagon Alley, but only Harry, Ignotus, and Helena left.

Harry took a pinch of Floo powder and walked to the edge of the fire. He took a deep breath, scattered the powder into the flames, and stepped forward. The fire felt like a warm breeze; he opened his mouth and immediately swallowed a lot of hot ash.

“D-Dia-gon Alley,” he coughed.

It felt as though he were being sucked down a giant drain. He started spinning very fast. The bacon sandwiches that he ate for breakfast were churning inside him. He closed his eyes again, wishing it would stop, and then he fell, face forward, onto the cold stone and felt the bridge of his glasses snap.

Despite many trips on the floo network, he never landed on his feet.

He got up and looked around. It was a dimly lit shop. He didn't know where he was, so he started to find the exit door, but soon two blondes entered the shop, Draco and Lucius Malfoy. Draco was complaining to his father about how everyone thinks that Potter is smart and wonderful just because he has a scar on his forehead.

When Draco was about to touch something, his father stopped him, saying that he shouldn't touch anything because it may be dangerous, and at that moment, the shop owner, Borgin, came. Malfoy and Borgin talked for a while about a bill in the ministry and other stuff, and, in the end, Malfoy sold some items to Borgin, and both of the Malfoy's left the shop, and Borgin went back to his shop.

Harry took this opportunity and ran out of the shop to try to find his uncle, aunt, and cousins.

"Not lost are you, my dear?" said a voice in his ear, making him jump. An aged witch stood in front of him, holding a tray of what looked horribly like whole human fingernails. She leered at him, showing her mossy teeth. Harry backed away.

"I’m fine, thanks," he said. "I’m just—"

"Harry! Where have you been?" Harry’s heart leapt. So did the witch; a load of fingernails cascaded down over her feet, and she cursed as Ignotus Potter, the Lord of House Potter, came towards them, his hazal eyes flashing.

"Dad!" Harry croaked in relief. “I was lost — Floo powder —” Ignotus seized Harry by the scruff of the neck and pulled him away from the witch, knocking the tray right out of her hands. Her shrieks followed them all the way along the twisting alleyway and out into the bright sunlight. Harry saw a familiar, snow-white marble building in the distance: Gringotts Bank. Ignotus had steered him right into Diagon Alley.