Chapter 34

31st Of August, 1993

Everyone at Potter Manor rose early today, especially Iris, because this year she will finally go to Hogwarts with her brothers. It also means that Iris, who was too eager to go shopping, woke up both adults much earlier than they preferred.

After they were all ready and had eaten breakfast, they all gathered in front of the floo "OK, are you all prepared? Do you all have your own list of supplies?" Helena asked, and they all nodded.

They all floo'd to the leaky cauldron one by one. After exiting the fireplace, Harry went to a table and picked up the daily Prophet newspaper.

A large photograph of a sunken-faced man with long, matted hair blinked slowly at Harry from the front page. Harry held the paper and read:

BLACK STILL AT LARGE

Sirius Black, possibly the most infamous prisoner ever held in Azkaban fortress, is still evading capture, according to the Ministry of Magic.

"We are doing all we can to recapture Black," said the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, this morning, "and we beg the magical community to remain calm."

Fudge has been criticized by some members of the International Federation of Warlocks for informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the crisis.

"Well, really, I had to, don’t you know," said an irritable Fudge. "Black is mad. He’s a danger to anyone who crosses him, magic or Muggle. I have the Prime Minister’s assurance that he will not breathe a word of Black’s true identity to anyone. And let’s face it, who’d believe him if he did?"

While Muggles have been told that Black is carrying a gun (a kind of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other), the magical community lives in fear of a massacre like that of twelve years ago, when Black murdered thirteen people with a single curse.

Harry looked into the shadowed eyes of Sirius Black, the only part of the sunken face that seemed alive. Harry had never met a vampire, but he had seen pictures of them in his Defense Against the Dark Arts classes, and Black, with his waxy white skin, looked just like one.

He, of course, knew that Black was his godfather, who betrayed his parents and brutally murdered one of their best friends. His uncle and aunt never hid anything from him.

Harry threw down the paper and ran after his family. Ignotus and Helena looked at each other after seeing what Harry did, but didn't say anything.

They all entered Diagon Alley, and the first place they all headed was Gringotts Bank, so they could take money out of their vault and also make a separate trust vault for Iris. Iris was very excited about going to Hogwarts, and the boys were excited because, finally this year, they could go to Hogsmeade.

When the Potters came out of the bank, Harry saw a huge crowd gathered in front of the quality quidditch supplies Curious to know what the crowd in the shop was staring at, Harry and Arcturus edged their way inside and squeezed in among the excited witches and wizards until they glimpsed a newly erected podium, on which was mounted the most magnificent broom they had ever seen in their life.

"It’s the fastest broom in the world, isn’t it, Dad?" squeaked a boy younger than Harry, who was swinging off his father’s arm.

"Irish International Side’s just put in an order for seven of these beauties!" the proprietor of the shop told the crowd. "And they’re favorites for the World Cup!"

A large witch in front of Harry and Arcturus moved, and they were able to read the sign next to the broom:

** THE FIREBOLT **

THIS STATE-OF-THE-ART RACING BROOM SPORTS A STREAM-LINED, SUPERFINE HANDLE OF ASH, TREATED WITH A DIAMOND-HARD POLISH AND HANDNUMBERED WITH ITS OWN REGISTRATION NUMBER. EACH INDIVIDUALLY SELECTED BIRCH TWIG IN THE BROOMTAIL HAS BEEN HONED TO AERODYNAMIC PERFECTION, GIVING THE FIREBOLT UNSURPASSABLE BALANCE AND PINPOINT PRECISION. THE FIREBOLT HAS AN ACCELERATION OF 150 MILES AN HOUR IN TEN SECONDS AND INCORPORATES AN UNBREAKABLE BRAKING CHARM. PRICE ON REQUEST.

Price on request Harry didn’t like to think how much gold the Firebolt would cost. He had never wanted anything as much in his whole life, but he had never lost a Quidditch match on his Nimbus Two Thousand, and what was the point in emptying the Potter vault for the Firebolt when he had a very good broom already? So he didn't buy it.

However, Harry had a few purchases to make. The Potters went to the Apothecary to replenish their store of potions ingredients, and as their school robes were now several inches too short in the arm and leg, they visited Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions and bought new ones. Most importantly of all, they had to buy their new schoolbooks, which would include those for their two new subjects, Care of Magical Creatures and Divination.

Harry got a surprise as he looked in at the bookshop window. Instead of the usual display of gold-embossed spellbooks the size of paving slabs, there was a large iron cage behind the glass that held about a hundred copies of The Monster Book of Monsters. Torn pages were flying everywhere as the books grappled with each other, locked together in furious wrestling matches and snapping aggressively.

Harry pulled his book list out of his pocket and consulted it for the first time. The Monster Book of Monsters was listed as the required book for Care of Magical Creatures. the Potters entered Flourish and Blotts.

They bought new books for their third year, and in Iris's case, she bought first-year books. Iris got a cat, which she named Zeus. After shopping for everything, they went to Olivanders to buy Iris's wand.

Iris got an 8 inch rosewood with a dragon heartstring core wand.