Chapter 19

19th Of August, 1992

When they reached Diagon Alley, they began to find the rest of the Potters.

"Harry! Harry! Over here!" Harry looked up and saw Hermione Granger standing at the top of the white flight of steps to Gringotts. She ran down to meet them, her bushy brown hair flying behind her.

"What happened to your glasses? Oh, Mr. Potter, it’s wonderful to see you two again. Are you guys going into Gringotts?"

"As soon as I’ve found the rest of the Potters," said Harry.

"You won’t have to wait long," Ignotus said with a grin.

Harry and Hermione looked around. Sprinting up the crowded street were Arcturus, Damian, Iris, and Helena.

"Where did you come out?" Damian asked. "Knockturn Alley," said Ignotus grimly.

They all worriedly looked at Harry and asked if he was OK or not, and, after confirming that he was completely fine, they all went to buy their school supplies.

An hour later, when they had brought everything except the books, they all headed for Flourish and Blotts. They were by no means the only ones making their way to the bookshop. As they approached it, they saw, to their surprise, a large crowd jostling outside the doors, trying to get in. The reason for this was proclaimed by a large banner stretched across the upper windows:

GILDEROY LOCKHART
will be signing copies of his autobiography
MAGICAL ME
today 12:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.

The crowd seemed to be made up mostly of witches around the age of sixty to seventy. Harry didn't think that any young witch would be a fan of him, but he was wrong.

"We can actually meet him!" Hermione squealed. "I mean, he’s written almost the whole booklist!"

A harassed-looking wizard stood at the door, saying, "Calmly, please, ladies, Don’t push, there mind the books."

The kids squeezed inside. A long line wound right to the back of the shop, where Gilderoy Lockhart was signing his books. They each grabbed a copy of his book and sneaked up the line to where the rest of the Potters were standing with Mr. and Mrs. Granger.

Gilderoy Lockhart came slowly into view, seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd.

A short, irritable-looking man was dancing around, taking photographs with a large black camera that emitted puffs of purple smoke with every blinding flash. "Out of the way, there," he snarled at Damian, moving back to get a better shot. "This is for the Daily Prophet."

Gilderoy Lockhart looked up. He saw Damian, and then he saw Harry. He stared. Then he leapt to his feet and positively shouted, "It can’t be Harry Potter!"

The crowd parted, whispering excitedly; Lockhart dived forward. He tried to seize Harry’s arm, but before Lockhart could take Harry away, Ignotus took Lockhart's hand off. When Lockhart looked over to see who it was, he was met with an icy glare.

"I would appreciate it if you would not touch my son again without his permission, or..." Ignotus just let that threat hang in the air. Lockhart gulped and nodded furiously, and he went back to the stage.

"Bet you loved that, didn’t you, Potter?" said a voice Harry had no trouble recognizing. He straightened up and found himself face-to-face with Draco Malfoy, who was wearing his usual sneer.

"Famous Harry Potter," said Malfoy. "Can’t even go into a bookshop without making the front page."

"Shut up Malfoy, I'm surprised to see you here. I didn't know you were a fan of Lockhart." Arcturus jumped to his cousin's defense.

"You filthy blood-tra—"but before Draco finished saying, Lucius came in and put a hand on his shoulder and started talking to Ignotus, but before going he saw the Weasleys and made fun of them, and for that reason, both Lucius Malfoy and Arthur Weasley had a small fight, but it was stopped before it went too far.

Thankfully, the Potters avoided both of the families and went out, and they all headed to Potter Manor.

**********

Harry thought this was enough excitement for a day, but was proven wrong when he entered his room.

An elf was sitting on his bed. The elf didn't look anything like the ones that they have. This one was dressed in a dirty scrap of fabric. His eyes spoke of pain, but changed into a hopeful expression at his sight:

"Harry Potter, Sir!"

"Yes…and who might you be?"

"I is Dobby the House Elf, Harry Potter Sir!"

"Okay Dobby, what are you doing here if I may ask?"

Dobby almost broke out in tears: "Harry Potter Sir, is so polite, no wonder he is such a great wizard! But Dobby came to warn you, Sir. Harry Potter must not return to Hogwarts this year!" The elf said, shaking his head.

"Well, Dobby, I am afraid your mission is set to fail then. I will definitely return to Hogwarts; I need to practice magic."

"Does your family know you're here, Dobby?" Harry asked and the elf shook his head.

"Fine, can you tell me why I shouldn't return back to Hogwarts?"

"Harry Potter, Sir, terrible things will happen at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year, Sir! Harry Potter is too great, too valuable to be involved in them. Dobby must protect you!"

"Okay Dobby, how about this…I return to Hogwarts, but as soon as something horrible or strange happens, we both have a talk and plan our further actions. What does that sound like?"

Dobby thought for almost a minute: "Very well, Harry Potter Sir! Dobby will find you as soon as the horrible things start! But the great Harry Potter, Sir, must promise not to get himself into trouble or dangerous situations. Dobby needs to protect you, Sir!"

"Fine Dobby, I give you that promise. I am not one who keeps looking for trouble anyway."

"Dobby hears differently, Sir! Apparently last year the great Harry Potter faced another Dark Wizard and emerged victoriously. But Harry Potter can't be involved this year, no no! Dobby won't let him!"

"Are you allowed to tell me what's about to happen, Dobby?"

"Dobby cannot Sir, his family forbid him from speaking about it or mentioning it to anyone!"

"Very well Dobby, let's keep in touch and together we will make sure that Hogwarts stays safe," Harry announced.

The elf agreed and with a pop, he vanished from the room. Harry was deep in thought. Whatever events were about to happen, they had the poor elf scared for his life. He would have to be extra cautious at Hogwarts this year.