Chapter 44

8th Of November, 1993

Ignotus noticed something as they watched the game that he did not expect to ever see again. So, he made an excuse to Helena, saying he needed to use the bathroom and would return soon.

He quickly went towards what caught his eye: a big black dog. The dog was about to run away when he saw him approaching. "PADFOOT, STOP OR ELSE" Ignotus warned him but didn't say his name, because he didn't want anyone else to hear who this dog was, and because he alone wanted the pleasure of killing him, and the dog came to an abrupt halt.

Ignotus silently cast a petrificus totalus and levitated the dog to an empty spot where he cast privacy and notice-me-not wards and removed the petrifying spell that he had cast on the dog. "You have two minutes to explain why you betrayed one of your best friends and murdered another, and if I don't like your answer, I'll kill you," Ignotus said. And when he looked again at the dog, instead of seeing a dog, he saw right into the eyes of one of his ex-friends.

"Ignotus, first of all, it's really good to see you, and second, I was never James and Lily's secret keeper. It was Peter. We switched it on at the last minute because we thought that it would be too obvious, and when the next morning, I went to confront Pettigrew, he cut one of his fingers and blasted a car, killing many muggles and leaving. When the aurors came, I tried to explain what happened, but they never listened to me and I haven't received any trials for twelve years". He broke down into sobs.

"So, why did you decide to break out of prison now? Why not before if you are innocent?" Ignotus asked. Sirius took out a piece of paper from his pocket and showed it to him. At first glance, he saw that it was a normal family photo of the Weasleys, but when he focused on what Sirius was pointing at, he saw that the youngest boy had a rat on his shoulder, and he immediately recognized who that rat was.

"This is what we are going to do. We will deal with this as responsible adults. I know you want revenge above everything else. Believe me, I feel the same way, but we can't allow you to go back to Azkaban, and I definitely don't want to go there So you'll join me here after the game, and you'll go home with Helena and me. Then we'll figure something out," said Ignotus with a sigh. Sirius sobs and embraces him, mumbling a lot of thanks.

Ignotus went back to the Quidditch field just in time to see his nephew fall and hundreds of demented swarm him, so he raised his wand and screamed, "EXPECTO PATRONUM," and a wolf appeared from the tip of his wand. The wolf went and joyfully circled around the dementors.

The stands were silent. Everyone was looking at the many Patronus in awe. Yet Ignotus didn't care; he quickly and angrily went down to the pitch, also casting a spell, so Harry reduced his falling speed.

Madam Pomfrey brought a stretcher and took Harry to the hospital wing. Ignotus and Helena wanted to stay, but their kids told them they'd owl them and tell them how Harry was doing.

After saying goodbye to their children, the two adults left. The dog quickly ran up to them. Helena looked confused, because her husband was not a dog person. "I'll explain everything when we get home," was all he said. She nodded and then both of them went to Hogsmeade, where they could apperate away, the dog coming with them.

**********

That night Daphne came and sat beside him in the hospital wing. Harry looked at her in astonishment. She sat there while holding his hand in hers, without asking anything.

"I heard my mom," Harry said after a long silence. At Daphne's confused look, he continued. "When dementors get near me, I can hear her screaming and pleading with Voldemort to spare me. Then I can hear him laughing and murdering her."

Daphne gasped after hearing that and hugged him close. He sobbed on her shoulder like a child, and Daphne let him. After several minutes, they broke apart. He looked ashamed.

"Don't. You have every right to break down. You have endured a lot and I am glad I could help you." Daphne said. Harry looked at her and nodded his head.

"Daph, you know, I saw a grim in the stands during the game." Daphne looked at him and asked, "Was it a large black dog with grey eyes?"

Harry nodded "I saw that dog several times in the grounds this year. I have given it bacon a couple of times. It's just a harmless dog," she said with a smile. Harry looked relieved.

"I lost the match," Harry said sadly. "Oh Harry, it's not your fault that dementors came near you. And I'm sure you will definitely win the Quidditch cup this year." Daphne said with a smile.

"Are you implying that you don't care if Slytherin loses the Quidditch cup?" Harry asked cheekily.

Daphne narrowed her eyes at him and said "Don't you dare tell anyone that I said this."

"My lips are sealed," he said with a grin.

"I believe they need to taste defeat in order to see reason and accept talented people onto the team." She said, and Harry nodded his head at her.

They talked for a while, and an hour later, she gave him a small kiss on his forehead and left the hospital wing.