Chapter Twenty-Two A Chance to say Goodbye

After calming Hua Ying down, the two went down the Cloud Recesses on a small path. On their way, the grass beside the white pebbles rustled before parting suddenly, revealing a small, snowball-like head and a pair of long ears.

The rabbit's pink nose sniffled. As it saw Lan Zhan, its dangling ears suddenly perked up. With a kick of its leg, it sprang toward them. They came to the patch of green grass. Little Apple was lying under a tree while dozens of round white rabbits circled around it, most of their eyes shut, sleeping tightly. A few of them were still snuggling.

Hua Ying walked to the tree, bent down and scratched Little Apple's head. With a shiver, Little Apple woke up at once, air coming out of its nostrils. As he saw Hua Ying, he slowly got up and nuzzled Hua Ying's chest.

I know my dear one I miss him too said Hua Ying as he hugged the donkeys face, I can promise you once he has returned, we both will see him again.

The pile of rabbits that was laying sleeping next to the donkey startled awake as little apple had gotten up. Long ears trembling, all of them hopped toward Lan Zhan. Fluffs of white at his snowy boots, they ran around him again and again, whatever they were excited about. Holding Little Apple's rein, Hua Ying slightly pulled for him to move. The rabbits stood on the ground on their hind legs and clung to Lan Zhan's leg one by one. All of them wanted to climb up. Lan Zhan was as still as a mountain. Hua Ying then let go of the reins and sat down.

Now listen here you lot, we will be back said Hua Ying to the rabbits. As he spoke to them the little white balls hopped over to him and covered him so that it looked like a little white mountain was there instead of a person. Hua Ying got up slowly. Lan Zhan bend down and picked one up and held it within his arms. Although his face was still cold, the stroke of his hands was gentle. His slender fingers scratched the chin of one of the rabbits. The rabbit shook its long ears. It turned around and shut its ruby eyes into just two slits, as though enjoying the scratching very much.

Coming over and Hua Ying touched the little rabbit. It's my mother's spiritual animal you know, white rabbits. When I gave the two to you that time I had known. I guess it was like leaving a part of me behind then said Hua Ying.

Lan Zhan glanced at him before passing the rabbit into his arms. Hua Ying took it over with a smile on his face.

No more leaving me behind said Lan Zhan. When you return home, I shall go with you. We shall bring them along.

You will have too, they do like you said Hua Ying, look at them they do not want you to leave said Hua Ying as Lan Zhan wrapped his arm around Hua Ying's waist.

Hua Ying played with the rabbit as they walked down the path. When they were almost outside of the gates of the Cloud Recesses. Now that the rabbits couldn't follow them any longer, their ears drooped low and sat where they were, watching as their master left.

You must've been very gentle with them when you brought them up. I'd never be able to do that. Said Hua Ying

No? Asked Lan Zhan

I am still in transition, and I have many responsibilities I don't have time. In Yuandao, we have every manner of beasts roaming except dogs yet the only thing I keep near me is my lotus and wraiths they can handle my outbursts animals for now can't, but I will mostly be a bird person except my measuring snake, I have a measuring snake that I spoil said Hua Ying

Down the mountain path, they left the Cloud Recesses through a discreet shortcut. They walked farther and farther, until they had finally left the Lan Sect's disciples' usual area of activity. After a while little apple started braying as Hua Ying leaned more onto the donkey.