Chapter Twenty-Five Guanyin Temple

The shallow regions of the docks were cramped with small fishing boats. A few groups of women were gathered on the stone stairs before the waters, washing clothes. Shirtless boys with tanned skin dove and swam around the edge of the river. A ferry slowly drifted over. One person was at the end of the boat, head hanging low, but the two young people inside both had striking looks. The man sitting at the front was dressed in snow white, carrying a most ethereal air while the smiling beauty right beside him had quite an otherworldly serene face as well. People rarely saw such figures daily, so everyone widened their eyes and stared as hard as they could. A few of the boys swimming in the river gathered toward them like fish. Around seven or eight heads bobbed up and down beside the ferry.

If I may ask, is Yunping City here? Asked Hua Ying as her musical voice reached the woman's ears

Yes, it is young maiden replied a girl who washing her clothes near by

We're here, Let's go. Said Hua Ying

The ferry docked. Lan Zhan was the first to stand up. After he was on land, he turned around and helped Hua Ying up, then placed Hua Ying hand on his arm, Hua Ying blushed. Two had gotten off already, yet Wen Ning was still on the boat, unable to move an inch. The swimming boys watched as he looked down and said nothing, strange marks crawling up his neck across his pale cheeks. They found him strange but felt amused instead of scared. Over ten pairs of hands clung onto the boat and shook without stop, so hard that Wen Ning almost couldn't steady himself.

Hey! What are you doing? Don't bully him. Said Hua Ying

Young Mistress, I can't get off. Cried Wen Ning

As he called out for help, two of the boys slapped the river's surface to splash him with water. Wen Ning pulled a helpless smile, at a loss as to what to do. If only the boys knew the 'person' they were fooling around with could tear their bodies, even their bones, into smithereens, how could they make fun of him the way they were right now?

Hua Ying tossed over the few lotus seed pods that were left,

Catch! She spoke.

The boys immediately scattered, fighting for the seed pods. Wen Ning could finally jump ashore. Embarrassed, he patted the drenched hem of his robe.

Thank you, A-Ying said Wen Ning

It is fine A-Ning said Hua Ying with a smile... you are the same as when you were living, a timid savage corpse laughed Hua Ying as they continued forward

Even out of the entire Yunmeng, Yunping City wasn't just some small place, but rather bustling instead. The three entered the city. On their way were countless vendors and passerby. Wen Ning didn't like places that buzzed with people; he disappeared in silence shortly afterward. From the address in his memory, Hua Ying asked as he walked, but when they finally arrived at their destination and confirmed what they saw, both were somewhat surprised.

Hua Ying looked at the grand building, prosperous with incense,

This is... a Guanyin Temple? Asked Hua Ying

Mn. Replied Lan Zhan

Jin Guangyao really didn't seem like the devout type. The two exchanged a look with each other. Together, they passed the flood of visitors, crossed the tall threshold, and entered the temple. The temple had three courtyards. Everywhere smoke could be seen and woodblocks for prayers could be heard. It didn't take long to complete an entire circle around the temple. The last courtyard was the Guanyin Palace. Before the two even stood for long before the entrance, a monk came to greet them with his palms put together. The two returned the salute.

Most temples are built inside mountains. Ones inside cities are truly rare. Said Hua Ying

Maiden, those in the city often toil all day. Don't they also need such a Guanyin Temple to pray and search for inner peace? Smiled the monk