Chapter 35

Previously on Chapter 34

I can hear a soft chuckle from the other side of the line. Wow, I'm impressed. You sure do catch on pretty quickly... he said. I just cross my arms across my chest. Something about this guy... he seem different compare to the rest of them. I wonder who Ukyo truly is.

-Calm Before Storm-

Y/N P.O.V

Senku and Gen are still on the phone with Ukyo. I just sit on the rock, watching as the two of them have a conversation with the ex-sonarman. I stare at the ground, trying to figure out what's with the guy. His voice is nothing but gentle.

He don't have that threatening demeanor around him. Even though I haven't seen him in person. He seem like a good person. So what is he doing with people like Tsukasa?

If you were to come and save Chrome, you'd be dead, Senku. Don't get me wrong. I'm not on your side... he said. Senku let out a chuckle at what he said.

"I'm sure you weren't. Otherwise, you won't have captured our friend to begin with..." he said, smirking. I'm just trying to make sure of one thing. I want to hear from your side what kind of people you are... I've seen your unbelievable secret mission... he said. What's he talking about.

This is madness. Even in the stone world like this. You're still trying to find a way to save people... if I'm correct you he trailed off. Senku let out a chuckle.

"Yeah... if you put the broken pieces together like a 3D puzzle before the petrification is undone, you might be able to save them. You nailed it... and what? Are you going to rat me out to dear Tsukasa-Sensei?" Senku said, in a challenging tone.

No. Senku, I wouldn't mind cooperating with you. Under one condition... he said. Gen jumps up, excitedly. "Want me to take over Senku-Chan? A negotiation IS a mentalist's job" he said. I can tell Senku is a bit ticked off by Ukyo's words.

"I don't have time to beat around the bush. Just tell me what you want!" He said. "Wow... that's the worst thing you could say on a negotiation" Gen wailed, holding onto his head.

I let out a sigh and pat Gen's back comfortingly

I let out a sigh and pat Gen's back comfortingly. He drop his head on my shoulder, whining at what the scientist have said. But I'm not surprised, Senku isn't exactly the type of person to listen to rambling stuff. He likes to get straight to the point.

Alright, fine... my condition is simple. Is that no one can die he said. Senku let out a soft chuckle at what Ukyo just said. "I can't ever quite figure you out, Ukyo. You're either a lovey-dovey idealist... or..." Senku gets cut off by a weak laugh.

An idealist? No... I'm the biggest coward there is. The first time I saw Tsukasa destroy a statue, I was nothing but sad. I thought, 'why? How could you?' Still... I wanted to keep the revived from killing each other. To that end, I turned a blind eye to Tsukasa's statue destruction. The statues are currently inanimate objects. To not revive them doesn't constitute murder. Or so I convince myself. With paper thin seasoning. I know I'm a helpless coward. But I can't bear to see anyone else die... isn't that the last bastion of our humanity in this damn world? he said. I can hear his voice cracks a little as he speaks.

"He's... different..." I mumbled to myself, staring at the ground in sadness. I feel bad for Ukyo because he's forced to witness Tsukasa doing his murdering spree. When he seem like an innocent guy with a pure soul. It must be hard for him.

If you promise to produce zero casualties, I'll cooperate with you. But if you kill even one person... he said in a threatening voice. Senku let out a laugh, cutting him off.

"Sounds great. I'm in. No problem... we've said we'd try to make a bloodless siege from the beginning. Consider the fact that it's now a requirement instead of an aim" Senku said. Gen let out a whine at what he said. Thank you... Ukyo said. I can hear the relief in his voice.

"This is going to be a tough battle!" He wailed. I just hug his side, rubbing his back comfortingly. Surely Senku would have a plan to do that. He's not the type of guy to do things irrationally.

***

Now that Chrome have return. We can now focus on securing a source of the revival fluid. But before that, Senku claims that we would need someone with brute force.

I can hear footsteps coming towards us. I turn my head and notice a guy. He have a strong build body, spiky hair. Despite his body looking threatening. He have gentleness in his eyes.

"It's strange... even though I haven't met him. I feel like I've known him my whole life. Taiju..." Kohaku said. I turn to look at her to see her staring at Taiju in admiration.

Taiju walks up to Senku. "Senku!!" He yelled out, while throwing his arms. Senku quickly ducks out of the way, leaving Taiju hugging himself. Senku walks up to the girl who came with Taiju. She stares at him with tears in her eyes.

"Now the Kingdom of Science have full deck cards! It's time for the long awaited battle" He said. I just place my hand on the hilt of my sword. I turn my head to look at the sky. We'd have to try our best to not hurt any of the enemy. As it is the requirement of our alliance with Ukyo.

Time-skip

I hear a thud and turn my head to see Ukyo on the branch. "Tsukasa and Hyoga are at the grave. It's pretty far from here..." he said. Senku thanked him for the warning.

We are currently gathered not far from the cave. Gen eyed the tank with a worried and doubtful gaze. "Is this gun even going to shoot? We don't even have gunpowder" he said. Senku let out a chuckle and turn to look at him.

"We'll use this... a rupture disk..." he said. Gen turn his head to look at him. "A rup... what?" He said. He starts explaining how it works. The hot air inside the tank will cause it to expand and explode.

"Even I understand that. Wait! But it'll tear after the first use!" Chrome said. Senku assured him that we will only need one bluff fire. The enemy will back away. But it'll only be the first 20 seconds.

"2o seconds later... w-we'd be k-killing each other?!" Ginro said, his whole face is pale. Magma let out a loud laugh. "That's when we kill them all!!" He said. I just shake my head at him. Brute force is all he care about.

"No... no one can die. That's the condition of our alliance. Break it and the course of war becomes uncertain. Rules are rules..." Kinro said. We turn our heads to look at Ukyo who's sitting on a branch. He stares at us for a few seconds and close his eyes while smiling.

I stare at the ground, feeling scared and worried. I feel a hand gently slipping in mine. I turn my head to see Gen. He gives my hand a light squeeze. I just let out a sigh and wrap my arms around his neck.

"I'm scared, Gen... someone will surely get hurt..." I said. I feel a soft kiss on the side of my head. "We'll do everything we can to minimize the casualties, Y/N-Chan..." he said. I just nod my head, burying my face in the crook of his neck.

"Hey..." he said. I pull away from the hug and look at him. He gently cups my cheeks. "It'll be fine... we just have to have some faith in Senku and his plans"he said. I smile softly at him and nod my head. He leans in and place a soft kiss on my lips. I close my eyes, kissing him back.

Neither of us care at the fact that there are others around us. All we care about is show each other how we love each other. We might not have a chance again after the battle. So we have to savor all the chances we have. This is the calm before the storm. After this, blood will be spilled in the battle. I can only hope no one will die.

*to be continued*