Chapter 41

Previously on Chapter 40

"Of course not..." he said. I start to feel light headed and stumble backward. I feel someone catches my body, before I come crashing down the ground. My surrounding becomes fuzzy as I fall limp.

-See You Again-

Y/N P.O.V

I'm sitting on a rock, Kohaku is next to me to keep me company. Senku is currently performing surgery on Nii-Chan. I hold my hands together. I have mix feelings. I feel sad, angry... worried. All mix together, creating a havoc inside my brain.

"Y/N-Nee..." Kohaku said. I turn my head to look at her. She kneels down next to me. "Everything will be alright. Senku will do everything he can to save your brother..." she said. I just stare at her with tears in my eyes.

"I... I just remember him. I j-just got my b-brother b-back. Why does this have to happen?" I said, weakly. Tears streams down both of my cheeks. She nods her head and pulls me into a hug. I lean my body against her embrace.

"I know... it must be hard for you" she said. I choke out a sob as I bury my face in her shoulder. She run her hand through my hair comfortingly. I just keep sobbing as I cry harder.

"Y/N... it's done..." someone said. I turn my head to see Senku. I nod my head and wipe my tears. I stand up and make my way towards his cave. I take a deep breath once I stand in front of the cave. He can't see me cry. He'll feel worried.

"Nii-Chan..." I said, once I enter the cave. He turn to look at me. "Mirai..." he said, in a soft voice. I can see a smile on his face. I slowly walk towards him and kneels down next to him.

I gently holds his hand with both of mine, bringing it close to my face. I place my cheek against the back of his hand. I know I said that I shouldn't cry in front of him. But I can't stop myself from letting the tears to fall from my eyes. They slowly streams down both of my cheeks.

"Don't cry, Mirai..." he said. I bit my lips, trying not to sob. I have to be strong for him. I open my eyes and look at him. "I'm sorry, Nii-Chan..." I said. He shakes his head, giving me a soft smile.

"It's okay... everything will be okay" he said. But I know it's not going to be. I give him a weak smile. He gently caress my hand. He glances past me to where Senku is standing.

"Senku... I once broke our promise. But yet, you still keep yours without even knowing it. You took care of my sister. Keeping her healthy. Now it's my turn to keep my promise to you. It's a forever truce. There will be no more fighting among us" he said, smiling softly at Senku. Senku gives him a small smile.

He turns his head to look at Gen. "Gen..." he said. Gen flinched at his voice. "Yes?" He said. Nii-Chan lift his hand, gesturing him to come closer. Gen just move closer.

"You love my sister?" He asked. Gen nods his head at his question. "I do... I love her, a lot..." he said. Nii-Chan smiles at him. "I'll leave her to you... take care of her for me, okay?" He said. Gen turns to look at me for a brief moment, and turn to look at him. He nods his head.

"I promise I'll take care of her..." he said. Nii-Chan nods his head and turns to look at me. He lift his hand and gently cup the side of my cheek, wiping the tears that have streamed down my cheeks again.

"Let me have a word alone with Senku, okay?" He said. I just stare at him for a few seconds. I slowly nod my head and stands up. I walk out of the cave and burst into tears again. I drop on my knees as I start to cry harder.

I feel my body getting pull into an embrace. I turn my head slightly to see it's Kohaku. I hug her back tightly, desperate for some sort of comfort. For a reassurance that everything will be alright.

***

I'm sitting by the cliff alone. I hear footsteps coming closer towards me. I turn my head to see Gen and Senku. Gen gives me a sad smile as he walks up to me. He take a seat next to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Y/N..." Senku said. I turn my head to look at him. He squad down in front of me. "There is one way to save your brother's life..." he said. I just stare at him.

"H-How?" I asked. He bit his lips, staying silent for a bit. "I'll have to petrify him. Then use the healing effect of the de-petrification to bring him back to life. But I don't know how long it'll take for me to find the source..." he said. I just stare at him, waiting for him to continue.

"I'm so sorry to say this... but I'm going to have to kill your brother. I'll freeze him to death. It's a literal cold sleep... that's the only way" he said. I feel tears streams down my cheeks at what he said. I turn my head to look at the ground, sniffing softly.

"I promise I'll do everything it'll take to bring him back, Y/N. So just, put your trust in me..." he said. I turn my head to look at him and nod my head. "O-Okay... I trust you, Senku" I said. He smiles and pat my shoulder.

Senku starts working on making the freezer needed to put my brother in his cold sleep. They're currently setting up the freezer inside a cave, which is under the waterfall.

I kneel down next to my brother, holding his hand in mine. I want to savor every seconds of time I have with him. Who knows how long it'll take for me to be able to see him again. But I know Senku will stop at nothing until he succeeded in bringing him back.

"Mirai..." Nii-Chan said. I turn my head to look at him. He smiles softly at him. "Remember the song I sang for you?" He asked. I just nod my head. He lift his hand, placing it on the side of my cheek.

"Can you sing it for me?" He said. I blink my eyes and nod my head slowly. He smiles softly at me. I take a deep breath and start to sing.

Come stop your crying,
It will be alright
Just take my hand,
Hold it tight
I will protect you from,
All around you
I will be here,
Don't you cry

My voice cracks a little. But I force myself to keep on singing, because it's his request. I clench my hands which I've placed on my lap.

You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart
Always
Always

I turn my head to look at him. His eyes are closed. I choke out a sob as I lean down, placing my head on his chest. I sob harder as I start to cry harder.

They place his body inside the freezer. They move aside to let me say my final goodbye. I take off the shell necklace from my neck and place it in his hand. Senku close the freezer. I kneel down and place my cheek on it.

"You protected me, Nii-Chan... for years and years. So I'll protect you this time... forever. I'll watch over you every day. I'll make sure nothing breaks" I said, choking a sob every now and then. My tears streams down my cheeks, falling onto the freezer as I keep on crying.

I'll wait for him to come back. I know he's going to come back. Senku will always keep his promise. He will find a way to bring Nii-Chan back. This isn't a goodbye... it's a see you again.

See you again, Nii-Chan...

*to be continued*

A/N: the saddest part in the whole anime. I feel like crying while writing this. The fact that the reader have been trying so hard to remember who her brother is. Then there's the older brother, Tsukasa who have been trying so hard to keep his sister alive in hope she will come back. Now when they're finally reunited. They have to be separated again. This is SO sad!! 😭😭😭😭