Chapter 43

Previously on Chapter 42

I want to see Y/N-Chan smiling and happy again, just like how I used to see her. What can I do to bring that Y/N-Chan back? I'll do anything to bring her back. I choke out a sob as I pull her closer. I'm so sorry, Y/N-Chan. I'm so so sorry that I couldn't do anything for you. But I'll always be here for you, I promise.

-It Will Get Better-

Y/N P.O.V

I open my eyes and realize I'm still in the cave where Nii-Chan's body is kept frozen. I turn my head to see Gen laying next to me. He have his arms around me in an embrace.

He moves slightly as he opens his eyes. He turns to look at me. "Y/N-Chan... good morning" he said. I just sit up and scoots away from him. I can hear a soft sigh escaping his lips. But I just keep my head away.

"I told you to leave. Why're you here?" I asked, still not looking at him. He gently slips his hand in mine. I try to move my hand away from his grip, but he is quick to tighten his hand. I turn to look at him.

"Because I love you... I don't want you to feel like you are alone. You're not, Y/N-Chan. You have me... you have the whole village. Tsukasa-Chan would be very upset if he knows how you're taking this situation..." he said. I just look away from him.

Tears slowly start to gather in my eyes. I choke out sob. I cover my lips, as tears starts to stream down my cheeks. I feel a pair of arms snaking around me, pulling me into a gentle embrace. I make no move to push him away because I don't have any energy left. So instead, I lean closer to his embrace. He runs his hand through my hair comfortingly.

I hear footsteps coming closer. I turn my head to see Kohaku and Ruri-Nee. Ruri-Nee is holding a tray of food in her hand. While Kohaku just holds her hand together. They each wears a sad expression as they stare at me.

"If you're here trying to persuade me to eat. Forget it and just leave me alone. I don't wanna eat anything" I said. They let out a sigh and walk deeper into the cave. Ruri-Nee place the tray near the rocky wall. Kohaku take a seat next to me. Ruri-Nee kneels down in front of me. She gently take my hand in hers.

"Y/N... I know that you're hurting right now. But you are not alone. You have me, Kohaku, father and the rest of the villagers. Aren't we a family? You said it yourself that Ishigami village will always be your home..." she said. I just stay silent as I stare at her.

Kohaku wraps an arm around my shoulder. "And it hurts us to see you like this, Y/N-Nee..." she said. I turn my head to look at her. She stares at me with tears in her eyes. I can feel my eyes starts welling up in tears. The three of them pulls me into a hug. I just close my eyes, letting myself sink in deeper in their embrace.

"Please eat... don't torture yourself like this, Y/N-Chan" Gen said. I just stay silent. "Think of how your brother would feel... it wasn't his choice to leave you like this" Ruri-Nee said. Kohaku just runs her hand through my hair.

"It's not permanently, you'll see him again one day. Senku-Chan promised he'd do whatever it takes to bring him back. You don't want him to see you like this, right?" Gen said. I shake my head at what he said. He's right, the last thing I want is for Nii-Chan to see how depressed I'm being after his death like state.

Ruri-Nee grabs the bowl from the tray and moves to me. "So please... take care of yourself. Please eat?" She said. I turn my head to look at the three of them. They give me a pleading faces.

I let out a sigh and grab the bowl from Ruri-Nee's hand. I slowly hold the chopstick and start to eat slowly. I hear a chorus of sighs coming from them. I turn my head to see they look relieved.

I just stay silent and keep eating until I finished the whole bowl. Kohaku take the bowl from my hand. I just keep my head down. I turn my head to look at the freezer and place my hand on the surface.

"Nii-Chan..." I mumbled. I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder. I turn my head to see Gen. He gives me a soft smile. "Do you wanna get out? You need some fresh air, Y/N-Chan..." he said. I just shake my head.

"You know... everyone misses you. Suika, Father, Chrome, Ginro... even the stoic Kinro. All of them" Kohaku said. I turn my head to look at her. She give me a smile.

"They want to come here to see you, but Senku forbids them from doing so. He only allows the people who are the closest to you to come..." she said. I close my eyes after she said.

Flashback

"Why are you crying, Mirai?" Nii-Chan said. I turn my head to look at him. "Everyone made fun of my drawing, Nii-Chan..." I said. He take a seat next to me.

"Let me see..." he said, outstretching his hand. I turn my head away from him. "No... it's ugly" I said. He gently place a hand on my head. "Well, I will be the judge, okay?" He said. I bit my lips and hands it to him. He opens the book and stare at the drawing I made.

"I don't see the problem, Mirai... this drawing is beautiful. Little mermaid, huh?" He asked. I grin and nod my head. "I love little mermaid! She's the most beautiful human... er, fish?" I said, tilting my head in confusion. He let out a laugh at what I said.

"Who cares what she is, hm? Human or any living being are beautiful in their own ways. No matter people say to bring you down. It will be okay... it will get better. Just keep smiling, okay?" He said. I nod my head, smiling softly at him.

End of Flashback

I slowly open my eyes. I turn to look at the freezer that kept my brother's body. Tears welling up in my eyes as I recall that memories.

Keep smiling... Mirai. It will get better... his voice echoed in my head. I thought I can feel his larger hand caressing my hair softly. But when I open my eyes, I see no one aside from the three of them. I still remember his smile as he said those things.

"Nii-Chan..." I said in a hush voice. I place my hand on the freezer. A soft smile slowly starts to form on my face. "I will keep on smiling... just like how I promised you, Nii-Chan..." I said. I lean down, gently placing my cheek on the freezer. A lone tear fall from my left eye and onto the freezer. Keep smiling and things will get better.

*to be continued*