Heroes and Boars

Overhead

In a military base a few miles away from Taimon stood the boot camp for the surrounding nomadic and stationary villages. Along the perimeter a platoon of cadets could be seen running in the standard issue boot camp outfit, many of the cadets were shining with the rising sun reflecting the sweat off them. Their expressions were firm but it was clear that they were reaching their limit.

"Let go Cadets, we have three miles to go!" Their platoon leader yelled as loudly as they could. He was leading the platoon and setting the pace. "I want to get this over before the sun fully comes out!" He continued.

"three more?"

"I swear those two aren't human."

Muttering, complaints and swears were heard from them as the platoon leader and the only cadet that has managed to keep up with him since training started a week ago.

"Come on everyone, it's only three miles. It's not that hard."

The only cadet running shoulder to shoulder was Lin Hermes, her relaxed expression as she turned and shouted at her fellow cadets.

"Shut up L, you can run fast. Good for you."

One of the cadets responded as he took deep breaths between each word.

"If you can talk, you can run harder." The platoon leader shouted back.

After an agonizing three miles for many of the cadets the platoon leader stood in front of everyone with Lin standing just behind him with her hands on her hips.

"You will have 5 minutes to rest, after that go eat breakfast. Once you are done come to the training hall. Dismissed!"

The platoon leader left and headed off leaving the cadets to ask why they decided to join the army and if it's worth it. Most of them were trying to catch as much breath as possible, sweat and pained expression was the common theme between them all.

The only exception being Lin who was looking at everyone with a neutral expression. "I'll grab some food." Lin said as she walked towards the cafeteria building.

The sound of footsteps echoed within the hall as many cadets, leaders and so on walked to and from various destinations. Lin was no different as she moved forward. The more she walked the more the color started to drain for the world, the wall became a duller tone of gray somehow. The faces of the people around started to blur slightly, however the letters on the wall were clear and readable as before.

Lin grabbed her lunch tray and sat down in her usual seat, she reached for her back to grab her lance only to notice it wasn't there.

"The one thing I hate about this place is not being able to carry the spear. It feels so unnerving." She said as she hugged herself while squirming.

The other cadets in her unit started to flow into the room, many of them broadline limping into the line as their bodies were still stressed and tired all over after running six miles without breakfast. Lin simply watched them and they struggled as she ate her food.

The lunch room was loud with the clanking of the tableware and the conversations between the cadets throughout the room, the only expectation being Lin herself. The area she was around was silence in comparison with the sound of Lin eating her food being the only source of sound. This has been the status quo for the last week after the first day. Alone at all times.

"Guess it's time to head to the training hall."

Lin threw away all of her trash and headed towards the door. On the way there she spotted someone's foot in the way, as if asking for her to trip and make a fool of herself.