Markings of a Mad Man

The passing landscape gave the young girl a moment to rest. Seeing the country where she was borned and raised brought peace to her heart. Moving her navy blue hair aside the woman stood up to stretch her muscles, feeling the sense of relief that never gets old for her.

The screeching of the train along with the loud whistle announced to everyone that the train will be stopping shortly. She makes her way towards the exit as the train slowly comes to a stop. The setting sun painted her pale skin a light orange. Stepping off the train she made her way towards the station's exit.

Taking a deep breath Alice feels the frosty air of home entering her lungs and soul. Upon leaving the station a roundabout road with a large statue of the goddess greeted her return home, she checked the watch on her wrist seeing that it was only 5pm.

"He should still be there by this time." Alice said as she made her way into town.

As she heard the crushing of snow under her foot she kept looking up at the sky seeing the sun set silently taking in the beauty of the natural world.

"ALICE!"

Alice turns her head down to see a small blur collide into her leg. A small pair of hands wrapped around her waist as.

She looks down to see one of the many young kids from the orphanage, his black hair and dirty face reminded her of her younger days. She looked around to see an absence of a certain someone causing Alice to look down at the child.

"Why are you alone?" Alice asked.

"I heard you were coming back today, so I came here. Then I saw you so here we are." The child said.

Alice felt a sigh escape her lips as she grabbed the child by their hand and maneuvered them on her back so he wouldn't run away for whatever reason. Children tend to do that often.

After walking for some time a dark orange and blue building came into sight, with the inside having about a dozen or so people of varying ages. Alice walks inside ringing the usual thunk sound of the wood which replaced the ringing of a bell.

"Hello, welcome to- oh it's you."

The middle aged man whose face was covered in a thin layer of sweat regardless of the cold interior looked at Alice. Fondness and warmth filled his eyes as he moved his navy blue hair out of the way, causing the small wrinkles on his face to virtually disappear.

"Welcome back Alice, and I see you have one of the kids with you too."

Alice returned a smile to her father as she approached him. "Doing good?" She asked.

"If I wasn't I would be at home. Would you like anything?" He asked.

"My favorite, Mom's favorite and what do you want?" Alice asked the child.

"I want mint chocolate!" The child borderline yelled.

"Coming right up, just give me a moment. Also your mother is at the orphanage as always, dinner will be there tonight as well. How's work treating you?" He said as he prepared the ice cream.

"Nothing bothersome. Work is work." Alice replied.

"I see even now you don't speak a lot, but that's just who you are." He said as he placed the order on the counter. "And he's your order, tell your mother I'll be there tonight."

Alice grabbed the ice cream and left the shop waving her dad goodbye. While many people would often show love for their parents in public, Alice made it a rule for her to not do that in front of the kids from the orphanage.