021. technology ghost

Dean found a case at a college and they get there, walking through campus, looking for the victim's girlfriend.

"Sorry I ever made you leave." Dean says, looking at all the college girls as they get out of the car. Larissa smacks his arm. "Sorry."

They get inside, still looking for the girlfriend.

"God, they're everywhere." Dean says.

"Yeah, and young enough to be your daughters." Larissa says.

"Uh, which one of you is Janet Novoselic?" Dean asks two girls.

"I am." Janet says.

"Agents Grohl, Channing, and Cobain." Sam says, the three showing their badges.

"Bye." The other girl tells Janet, walking off.

"I already talked to the police, like, nine times." Janet says.

"Yeah, no, this is, uh-- it's, uh, just a follow up." Dean says.

"Yeah." Sam nods.

"I have finals tomorrow." Janet says.

"Then we'll make it fast. I promise." Sam says.

~ ~ ~

"It's like I told the detectives. I was drunk, but I wasn't hallucinating. The truck had a mind of its own." Janet says.

"How so?" Dean asks.

"Like the air went full blast even though it wasn't on and the radio went crazy and so did Trini." Janet says.

"And Trini is?" Dean asks.

"Uh, you have to excuse me partner. When it comes to technology, he's a little behind. Uh... he just learned how to poke on Facebook." Sam says.

"Uh, um, Trini is the nav app we were using. It-- it's like a talking map. You're Gen X. Right." Janet says.

"Okay, so Trini and everything else in the truck went all Christine." Dean says.

"Who's Christine?" Janet says.

"It's a Gen X thing." Dean says.

"Look, I don't expect you to believe me. But I swear that truck was hellbent on killing Billy." Janet says.

"Did Billy have any enemies? Anybody who might have had a beef with him?" Sam asks.

"Maybe his brother Joey. They fought all the time. It's so sad. They never got to set it right." Janet says.

"Because Billy died." Dean says.

"No. Joey did. In Afghanistan." Janet says.

"Do you know where he's buried?" Sam asks.

"He's not. Poor guy never came home. I.E.D." Janet says.

"Did Billy happen to have anything of his brother's on him when he died? Uh, dog tags, a hat, something?" Dean asks.

"Just his pickup." Janet says.

"So the truck belonged to Joey?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. It was his pride and joy. Billy got it when he died and, you know, it's a thing." Janet says.

"Yeah." Dean nods as Janet's phone rings.

"Excuse me a sec." She gets up, walking away.

"So-- so what's a thing?" Sam asks.

"You know, the truck thing." Dean says and Sam cluelessly shakes his head. "You honor the deceased by driving their truck. Sam, they wrote a whole country song about it."