040. rock devil

After finding out that Lucifer is possessing Vince Vincente, the four Winchesters are on their way to L.A. Dean is driving and Larissa strokes Athena's hair, watching her little girl sleep. Sam is in the passenger seat and has headphones in.

"All right. 450 miles to L.A. Land of gridlock, Botox, overtaxing, underachieving, smell of sweaty desperation. I mean, you can't breath. The beaches are toxic. You got dudes wearing sunglasses inside."

"Oh. Image-obsessed narcissists. I do like the yoga pants, though." Dean chuckles. "When was the last time we were in L.A.? About 10 years ago, doing a vengeful spirit? Man, that seems like forever ago. Doesn't it?" He glances over at Sam. "Hey." He hits his arm. "Tryin' to talk to you here."

"What?" Sam takes the earbuds out.

"You-- what are you listenin' to?" Dean asks.

"Uh, podcast. Why?" Sam asks.

"All right, well... I need something to keep me awake, so crank it up." Dean says.

"I mean, it's a history podcast." Sam says.

"Well, I like history, you know? Gladiators and outlaws, pirates. Hell, we're driving a piece of history right now." Dean says.

"N-Not that kind of history. This is a, uh... it's a podcast on the history of the Protestant Reformation. A multipart exploration of each Martin Luther's 95 theses." Sam explains.

"Oh."

"Yeah, that's what I thought." Sam puts the earbuds back in.

Dean yanks the earbuds out of the phone, a Vince Vincente song playing.

"Oh, Sam." Dean groans.

"Dude."

"Hair rock? Really?"

"It's not hair--"

"Come on."

"It's not hair rock, Dean. It's hard rock. It's legitimate hard rock."

"Wow."

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

"Yeah, or a dude by his, uh, rainbow wig and leopard prints."

"Rainbow wig? What? You know what? I'm done apologizing. Lucifer possessed Vince Vincente. This is Vince Vincente's music, so listening to it is research."

"No. No."

"As a matter of fact..." Sam turns the volume up. "Study up, Dean."

"No, no. No. I don't wanna listen to it."

"You like it."

"No. No. No, no. No. Turn it off."

"It'll grow on ya."

Larissa looks at Athena as she starts to stir, her face scrunching up as she tries to focus on falling back asleep.

"Hey, hey, hey. I don't care who hates what or what's growing on who, turn that down. You're waking the toddler up and I am not in the mood for a grouchy Athena." Larissa hisses.

Sam turns the volume down a bit, but still keeps the music on.

+++

The Winchesters are waiting in the lobby of the hotel. Sam is in an armchair and Dean and Larissa are on a couch. Athena is on Larissa's lap, playing with her mom's hair.

Sam gets some cucumber water out of the dispenser between the chair and couch. Dean gives him a disgusted look.

"What? It's good." Sam defends.