032. back in time

Sam and Larissa are in the kitchen and Dean walks in. Dean goes to the counter to pour coffee, but the pot's empty.

"We're out." Sam says.

"There was a half a bag yesterday." Dean says.

"I killed it." Sam says.

"He's become a coffee addict." Larissa says. "It's annoying."

"Hey, did you know the Nazis had a special branch devoted to archaeology?" Sam asks.

"Little early for Nazi trivia, especially without caffeine." Dean says.

"It's called the "Ahnenerbe." There was sites all over Germany and then the Nazis increased their territory, they started popping up in Poland, Finland, uh, North Africa..."

"Yeah, how is this more important than our coffee situation?"

"Cause I found something. I mean, we need something. Magic. A weapon strong enough to give us a shot against Amara. So, I've been looking outside the lore in history. And I found this, the Vichy Memorandems. They were Nazi communications that puzzle historians to this day. And they speak of a super weapon obtained by the Ahnenerbe, said to be strong enough to win the war."

"Yeah? What was it?"

"Well, these memos refer to it as "The Hand of God." I mean, that was sort of a catch all term for several objects he touched on earth in Biblical times. But they're believed to contain traces of His power."

"Yeah, well, the Nazis believed a lot of things."

"Dean, Lucifer's caged. God's MIA, the only beings strong enough to battle Amara are gone. If we're gonna fight her, what better way to arm up than with an actual dose of His power?"

"Okay, so you said the Nazis got their hand on one of these, uh, hands?"

"Right."

"Well, if it is was so powerful it could win them the war, why didn't it?"

"Because they lost it. En route to Berlin, it was stolen. The Nazis searched high and low for the thief, but they never found their prime suspect, uh, here -- Delphine Seydoux. French mistress to a high ranking Nazi. Thought to be a French traitor, till she killed her German lover, and made off with the weapon."

"Allied spy? French resistance?"

"That's what the Nazis thought, but their investigation led them to a different conclusion. That she was an "un femme de lettre."" Sam says and Dean stares at him blankly. "A woman of letters."

"You're hot when you speak French." Larissa comments.

Sam chokes on air and Dean rolls his eyes.

"Definitely too early for that." Dean grumbles.

+++

"Who knew the Men of Letters had European chapters?" Dean asks.

"Maybe it wasn't an entire chapter, just an asset, you know?" Sam says.

"Yeah, and letting women join way back in the '40s? I just never got the impression that they were so big on gender equality, you know... it's right there in the name." Dean says.

"Well, it was World War II. Kind of an all hands on deck situation, you know?" Sam says.

"Yeah, Rosie the Riveter. Cool."

"Here we go." Sam puts a book on the table. "This report was written by Clifford Henshaw, a bunker based Men of Letters back in 1943. It's the right era... but it's in French."

~ ~ ~

Sam and is at his laptop and Larissa is next to him.

"Well?" Dean asks, walking in and he has a beer.