041. single mom

They tracked down Lucifer and found out he was possessing the US president, and that he got a human woman pregnant, somebody who worked for the president. Larissa stayed at the bunker with Athena.

Cas returned only to reveal that Sam and Dean are gone, having gotten caught with the president's unconscious body in the motel room after they managed to trap Lucifer.

Now, Cas, Larissa, and Mary are in the war room, Larissa having sent Athena off to her room to play.

"You left them?" Mary asks.

"No, I... Dean told me to go. The woman--"

"The one you lost?" Mary cuts him off.

"I didn't. I... I thought that she--"

"Stop making excuses."

"Stop being rude." Larissa retorts. "Look, knowing Sam and Dean they made you leave, right? To take care of Kelly?"

"Yes." Cas nods.

"And she tricked him. You can't really blame him for that. I mean, accidents happen. He's not really the one to blame. Your sons who are more stubborn than anybody I know are... probably to blame. And the woman refusing help."

"If they needed help, why didn't you call me?" Mary asks. Larissa opens to say something, but knows it wouldn't be nice, so she shuts up. She only does so knowing how much Mary means to Sam and she doesn't want to drive a wedge between her and her husband.

"You were out." Cas says.

"How did we let this happen, Castiel?" Mary asks.

"Okay, I have to go check on Athena." Larissa says, getting up and walking out. She sighs, running her hands through her hair. She stops in the hallway, leaning against the wall.

"They've gotta be fine. They're fine. He's fine." Larissa whispers to herself.

"Mommy! Mommy!" She hears the high pitched voice of her daughter and tiny footsteps running towards her. Larissa forces a happy face as Athena gets closer. "My dolly broke." She holds up the doll with the decapitated head.

"Fuck." Larissa whispers. "That's okay, baby. I'll fix it." She takes the toy from her.

"Where's daddy?" Athena says.

"He's, um... he and Uncle Dean are out. They'll... they'll be back." Larissa says, hoping she isn't lying.

"Okay." Athena races off back to her room.

+++

It's been about two weeks since Sam and Dean have been gone. Athena keeps asking where her dad is, Larissa running out of lies to tell her. She can't exactly say that the two brothers got arrested, not really sure how to explain that to a 3 year old.

Larissa is cleaning up the mess in the war room from all of Athena's toys and her own mess. Mary left the bunker a while ago, going on constant hunts. Cas comes and goes, trying to find a way to get Sam and Dean back and also making sure he's there for Larissa and Athena.

Larissa looks up when the bunker door opens, a small spark of hope, wishing it's Sam and Dean, or at least Sam for that matter. However, her hope is crushed as Cas walks down the steps alone.

"Still nothing." Cas says.

"Great." Larissa sighs. "Great, yeah, great. Cause, you know, it's not like I don't have to keep telling my three year old daughter that daddy will be home soon. When I don't know when he's gonna be home. He could never be home. He could be fucking dead for all we know."

"Sam and Dean are strong. I'm sure wherever they are, they're... they'll be okay." Cas says.

"No, I can't-- I can't do this, Cas. I cannot be a fucking single mother. I don't--" Tears spring to her eyes. "I can't do this alone. I need Sam. I'm not strong enough to be a single parent, I don't have the-the kind of courage or-or patience for that shit."