050. birth of a nephilim

"Hey, listen to this -- two headed calf was born in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. That's weird." Dean comments.

"That is weird." Mary agrees. Dean gives Sam the tablet and limps off. 

"Yeah, but not our kind of weird." Sam says, holding the tablet in one hand and Athena in the other. It's only been two days since he got her back and Athena refuses to ever leave his side. She even sits outside the door when Sam has to shower or go to the bathroom.

Sam still hasn't figured out how he's gonna get Larissa back, but he tries to put on the best show for Athena so he's not too depressed around her. Aside from her attachment and nightmares, she seems perfectly fine, but he feels that she may just be in shock and not have fully processed what happened yet. Plus she doesn't have the greatest understanding of death quite yet either.

"Look, whatever this thing is gonna be, it-it's gonna be big and bad--"

"You rang?" They turn to see Crowley, cutting Sam's sentence off. "Hello, boys."

Dean punches Crowley, knocking him to the ground, and he holds the demon knife to Crowley's throat. Athena jumps, leaning into her dad who puts his hand on her back.

"It's okay, baby." He quietly assures.

"Did you do it? Did you let Lucifer out?!" Dean asks.

"I didn't let--"

"Don't!"

"Moose, a little help here!"

"Dean, wait." Sam says.

"Seriously?" Dean and Mary question.

"Look, just don't kill him. He worked the cage spell with Rowena. Maybe he can help us." Sam says making Crowley smile at Dean.

"And what if he can't?" Mary asks.

"Well, then we kill him." Sam says making Crowley's smile drop. Dean reluctantly gets up and Crowley stands up.

"Cage spell? Thought you had mother for that." Crowley says.

"Rowena's dead." Dean states.

"Really?" Crowley asks.

"Yeah, really. Lucifer." Sam informs.

"Funny. I always thought I'd be the one to kill her." Crowley says.

"Crowley... why did you do it? Save Lucifer -- what did you want?" Sam asks.

"I wanted to win. I perverted mother's spell, put Lucifer in a vessel of my own making because I wanted to win. You have any idea how many people have made a play for my throne over the years? Lucifer, Abaddon, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Too damn many. I thought if I could put the devil on a leash... my own personal nuke, no one would ever dare challenge me again."

"Yeah. That worked out great." Dean remarks.

"All ended with me narrowly escaping death by hiding in a rat." Crowley says.

"Wait. In an... actual rat?" Mary asks.

"Wasn't too bad, really. Gave me time to think. You know, I've been focused for so long on keeping my job. Never realized I hate it. All those whining demons, the endless moan of damned souls, the paperwork! I mean, who wants that?" Crowley asks.

"You." Sam says.

"Unh-unh. Once, maybe." Crowley says.

"So why are you here?" Sam asks.

"Well, whenever there's a world ending crisis at hand, I know where to place my bets. It's on you, you big, beautiful, lumbering piles of flannel and then the semi-tolerable one. Speaking of, where is Baby Moose's mother?"