tristan and eloise

It was a long two hour drive, Eloise hummed music every now and then and Tristan joined in with his slightly off pitch voice, filling the car with explosive fits of laughter. 

"AND" Tristan began to sing, taking a long deep breath, "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!!!" He was practically screaming the song at the top of his lungs and with that end of the note, the city came into sight. 

Eloise saw a car garage and pointed to it, saying firmly, "Park in there, we take the subway to get downtown." Tristan stopped his car and looked at her, worried, "What do you mean the subway, I have my car."

Eloise rolled her eyes impatiently and replied looking down at her rings, "I mean we will be using the subway because it is a nicer experience then being in the car. It's not a bad thing, Dugray." Tristan pulled into the garage and muttered, "It's not bad but sometimes not safe." Eloise paid the ticket as they went in and the car was taken from their hands.

"Watch out with it, I just got it cleaned." Tristan said as the man sat inside the car.

Eloise rolled her eyes and pulled him towards the subway station stairs and started down with the sulking Tristan. 

"Why is the city so important today?" Tristan whined.

"Shush. I'm thinking." Eloise stopped in front of a map and Tristan leaned his head closer to hers to get at the same height as her to focus his gaze where hers was. Eloise turned to see their closeness and Tristan smirked as she did. "Aren't I a sight today, Irvine?" he grunted and turned his face towards hers to look into her eyes. Eloise whipped her head back towards the map and replied, "As if, I'm the only sight to see."

"And you're letting people walk in your presence for free?" Tristan sarcastically remarked, standing taller, to hover over her. Eloise looked from the map to his face and said, "Well the sun seems to have taken a day off, I might as well do her job as the generous person I am." Tristan rolled his eyes and put his arm over her shoulder as she began to walk off towards the downtown train. The train was already there so they both sprinted to the doors right as they were closing and managed to slip in.

Both looked at each other, letting out small pants, and then began to laugh. Tristan walked over to an empty space and left space for Eloise on the crowded seat. 

He motioned Eloise over and she sat, their bodies practically on top of each other, and this strange tension arose. Both were giving each other side glances as if waiting for the other to do something.

Eloise crossed her leg over the other and rested her head on Tristan's shoulder. She didn't know what kind of confidence boost came over her, but she just did it. Tristan's flushed face wasn't visible and he was happy it wasn't, he then worked up the courage to say, "So are we going to get something?"

He rested his cheek on her head finally letting comfort settle in, Eloise piped in with, "Nah, it's just to be here."

Tristan rolled his eyes and looked towards the dark tunnels crowding and framing the train. 

The train commission mumbled out, "Downtown." 

Eloise got up quickly and dashed for the open doors, Tristan following after her. They walked up a couple of stairs to see the beautiful downtown streets and shops and skyscrapers. 

"I want to live here someday, and bask in the glory of the people and their strange yet reasonable ways." Eloise said, looking over to Tristan's amazed face. He has wind burn on his cheeks and it seemed he was already looking at Eloise when their eyes locked. Tristan nodded his head and his eyes flickered to something over her shoulder. Eloise turned her body to see a girl looking at Tristan, practically waving him over. 

Eloise rolled her eyes and watched as Tristan walked over to the girl.

Eloise learned to just live with it, with the constant callings of him in public and him always going to just fool around with the person for a bit then leave them high and dry. Eloise looked through her tote bag and placed a pill in her mouth. 

These pills weren't for any serious medical conditions but it allowed her for at least a couple of hours to feel as happy and as numb as she wanted, and to Eloise that small time where she could finally feel at peace and never feel anything, was a gift. Tristan walked back over to Eloise and smirked. "She likes me." Tristan said, stealing glances at her every now and then. "Really, I couldn't tell."

"Is that jealousy I smell?" Tristan asked, hoping that she'd say something to what he'd want to hear.

"As if. I just have better things to do than fawn over every person I lay eyes on." Eloise retorted.

His smile dropped a bit and they continued walking on.

---
------------------

The day had been long and adventure packed. They ended up walking around Manhattan, taking pictures on Eloise's camera and eating. They got into Tristan's car and the two hour trip back was exhausting. It was near 12am, and Tristan was struggling to keep his eyes open.

"Pull over." Eloise said.

"What?"

"Pull over, Tristan." Eloise shouted a bit out of exhaustion.

He pulled over and looked at Eloise, Eloise opened her door and looked at him, saying, "Let's switch, I'll drive."

"No." Tristan said, looking at the wheel. 

"What do you mean no? You're tired, Tristan." 

"I'm not tired, I'm fine."

"Please, you can sleep and I can drive." Eloise pouted.

Tristan got up and they switched places with her. Eloise ignited the car and drove. Tristan, although he was tired, kept occasionally opening his eyes to see if Eloise was real. "How could I have met someone this perfect? " he thought to himself. After a while of being lost in his thoughts, he finally drifted to sleep, leaving Eloise the chance to look at him every now and then.

Eloise was never big on including people into her plans because of the common knowledge that everyone would have to leave eventually, but somehow Tristan was always in each plan she made, never out of sight, and she knew why, but just couldn't bring it forth to say.

Tristan played a huge part in her life, and whether she wanted to believe it or not, if he wasn't there, she would probably have been long gone.