paradoxes

Did you guys miss me?

________________________________

Eloise wakes up and looks at the alarm, pushing Tristan's body from hers. She ran to the desk, it was 3:31 AM, and she was determined to restudy the whole course for the big test tomorrow. Tristan sat up sloppily and looked over at Eloise, "What are you doing?" Eloise shushed him and eventually heard footsteps nearing her, and the sliding of a chair over. He sat close to her, his chin resting on her shoulder and his hair brushing the side of her face. "I'll stay and study," he said, yawning through most of it. 

"But you went to bed like 3 hours ago, you should sleep." Eloise said, flipping the pages. 

"I'm not even tired, and I wouldn't be a good host if I let you stay up by yourself," he said, and she felt his smile plaster his face through his cheek lifting on her skin. 

She felt her face flush and she turned her face from him with a smirk, saying, "Now stop that, let's just study."  Tristan groaned and let his head fall completely onto her shoulder, saying, "Stop what? Am I turning you on?" 

Eloise laughed and whispered, "More like a whole ass system shutdown especially because we have a big test which we should be reviewing." She started saying the written words to herself, trying to drill each example, punctuation, and word into her mind. 

"So you're telling me that if this wasn't a test you'd be turned on?" Tristan smiled to himself, Eloise flicked his head from her shoulder and said, "No, I'm saying stop flirting with me because we have to study." 

Tristan smiled at her and said, with a sleepy undertone, "As you wish, Irvine. We can study now and then we focus on other stuff." Eloise put her finger to the page and replied rushed, "Sure!" He put his hand on the desk and rested his chin on it, and turned his face to see hers, indulged in studying the material. 

Even with her shoulders hunched over the desk and her knees to her chest, he could still see such primness in her manners. He watched her tap her lips with her nails and smiled, he couldn't process the fact that Eloise seemed to be from Aphrodite herself. "You're mesmerizing Eloise, truly," he said staring into her eyes. 

Eloise looked up surprised and said, "Can we just focus?" Eloise then looked down and it's as if the whole page wasn't there.

"He's joking with you right now, he says that a lot, just throws it around, it's not something to be flattered about. He thinks you're EASY!"  rung through Eloise's head, blocking out everything. 

Tristan looked at her and said, "I wasn't messing around with you Eloise, I mean it." Eloise nodded her head and said, "Thank you, but we should really be focusing on getting high marks for this test, my mother is counting on my grades to be high. I can't let my expectations falter, now where were we?" She could see Tristan's eyes still glued to her and she ignored it and continued reading on. 

After 30 minutes or so, Eloise got up and took her uniform and slid into the bathroom. Tristan went over to his bed and sat on the edge, his hand folded between his legs, and stared at the door as if it would fall off, then he walked up and knocked, "E, my uniform is in there, can I come in?" 

The door unlocked and Eloise said, "You can stay but for right now, turn your face away, I'm gonna change and I'll turn mine away." 

"Deal," Tristan and Eloise turned away from each other, but Eloise caught herself turning her head to get a glimpse of him and Tristan felt himself doing the same. 

"Hey, why are you looking at me?" Tristan said playfully, Eloise gasped and said, "How would you know that I was looking if you weren't looking at me too?" Tristan let out an even bigger gasp and said, "I dropped my shoe and had to pick it up because it fell near you." 

"Is that so? Then where is the shoe?" Eloise says with a smile, both of them turning to each other, fully dressed. Tristan started laughing and Eloise joined in, then she looked at her watch and said, "Okay, grab your stuff, I'm driving us to school." 

She ran and picked up her bag and notebook and flew down the stairs, Tristan doing the same and grabbing an apple then running to the running car. The engine roared and Eloise adjusted the mirror, and started driving off.

Tristan quickly held onto the door and said, "You're going a bit fast, Eloise." Eloise then said, "Well we are at the school now so don't worry." She stopped the car abruptly on a parking spot and smiled as she turned off the ignition. 

"That might have been the best I've ever driven," she said with a smile on her face, Tristan widened his eyes and said, "If that's the best you've ever driven, then who have you had to bury?" Imogen and Berlin came in front of them, and both girls enveloped Eloise. Imogen smiled at Eloise and rested her head on her shoulder, "You look gorgeous." 

Eloise kissed Imogen's forehead and said, "You always do." Imogen let out a little laugh and then closed her eyes as she held onto Eloise. Imogen was special to say the least, her looks and personality would have won an award if more people knew her, she just had a glow. Imogen, though so open, held secrets of her own. Imogen would fantasize about Eloise saying she liked her, openly saying it to school. Although Imogen would never say it out loud, she often mistaked feeling something for some for love, but it is a common mistake bound to be made by all. 

Love is a paradox and as humans, we are the mystery that adds onto such a confusion.