phone calls and all

After 30 minutes Eloise was done and she glanced over at Tristan, who was falling asleep in his hand. Eloise looked at his essay, scanning the words and reading the short paragraphs. "You could write more." Eloise said loud enough to wake Tristan up.

"What?" Tristan said, looking disoriented at her.

"I said, you could write more. You wrote only of the higher class, but there were the struggles of the lower class as well. You depicted where you would most likely stand in the radar during that time, but you forgot the "invisible" people, you forgot the children having to go into the factories to work so they could help their parents put a meal on the table. You can write more." Eloise said, glancing at the cake in the oven.

Tristan smiled at the articulation of her words and rewrote some of his words. Eloise nodded her head, and got down from the stool to go to the oven. Tristan lifted his head up to watch her go and take the cake out. When Eloise turned and made eye contact with him, his gaze shot down and he continued to write.

Eloise smiled to herself and turned off the oven. Although Eloise would never formally admit it, Tristan meant a lot to her. She had known him for a while, sure, but he meant more to her than that. He was like her muse and she would never let her muse go, not for anything or anyone, unfortunately, Tristan wasn't the type to keep one girl. He has had several girlfriends and even when with his girlfriends, Eloise always sensed the flicker of his eyes on someone else. It was just who he was, of course Eloise liked him, but she didn't like him enough to put herself in a position where she would end up hurt. She didn't fear rejection, no, she's far too impatient for that, but she feared how hurt she'd get if she were to ever commit. Eloise just could never commit, and as long as she didn't commit, she'd be okay.

Eloise looked down at her hands, aside from her perfect manicure, her hands were badly red and raw from how much she washed her hands. Eloise had a habit of overwashing her hands, it gave her some kind of purity, the water gave her some kind of freedom. But now, her hands were overly red and hard to touch for too long. She rested her hands on island and Tristan glanced at them.

"You know, if you ever feel overwhelmed you can tell me? I'm not really one to judge, unless it's someone else." Tristan said, playing off his words with a laugh.

Eloise gulped back, "I'm not overwhelmed, I just like to think." Tristan nodded his head slowly, "Well if those thoughts want to ever be voiced, I'm right here, willing to hear them."

"I'm not some kind of child you need to be worried about, Tristan." Eloise spat out, rather irritated by the sudden accumulation of pain. Tristan looked up and said, "I know you aren't, if anything I would be that child, but I'm here." Eloise smeared her thumb across her inner hand.

Tristan looked back at her hands and said, "We can go to sleep if you want. The essay isn't due until the end of the day tomorrow, I can finish it at lunch-"

"No need, I wanna ice the cake with you when you're done. So take your time." Eloise said with a smile.

Tristan nodded his head and flushed at her words. He looked back at his paper, and began to write at an intense speed.

Eloise laughed and then found herself looking out the window. She let her gaze fall upon each falling leaf, until Tristan slid the paper under her arms that were resting on the table.

"Ah, it looks better and more presentable. Now we ice the cake." Eloise cheered.

Tristan laughed at her excitement and grabbed the icing from his fridge, watching as Eloise bent slightly to get the piping bag. Eloise got up slowly, letting her eyes meet Tristan's, and he quickly turned his head completely towards the counter, trying to avoid eye contact now that his face was red.

He heard her skip to get to the other side of him and smiled as she saw his smile reappear.

They began to ice the cake and looked at each other every so often, when their hands brushed.

Tristan tapped on her shoulder and said, "Did you see that bird hit the window?" Eloise quickly turned her head to see the so called bird, and Tristan got some icing on his fingertip and brushed it across Eloise's nose.

Tristan then started to sprint off towards the stairs, Eloise whipped around and began to run after him, saying playfully, "You son of a bitch."

He laughed at this as he was halfway up the stairs, and stopped to see she was right behind him so he dashed again, this time faster.

He ran to his room, and missed closing the door so Eloise came in behind him, and before she could do anything Tristan enveloped her into an embrace and they both dropped to his bed.

Laughing themselves to death, they didn't realize the new closeness that they were in. Enveloped in each other, legs twisted, arms on each others upper body, and they didn't realize until they both stopped laughing and Tristan brushed his outer hand against Eloise's face.

Eloise then stopped laughing and looked at Tristan.

"Eloise...," Tristan whispered leaning in closer to her.

The phone rang and they both jumped.

Eloise got up and ran out the door, yelling, "I'll get it."

Eloise sprinted down the stairs and ran to the phone, picking it up to hear a familiar voice.