the compartment race

Eloise started down the stairs and Imogen waited outside looking at the driver, not even turning when Eloise closed the door.

Eloise tapped her shoulder and handed her a dress. "We could at least look cute if we have to go to the city," Eloise said with a smile as Imogen met her eye contact and let out a small laugh. Eloise held the dress tight to her chest and looped her arm into Imogen's. Imogen tensed up but relaxed when she looked at Eloise. "We can ask the chauffeur to stop us off at the railroads, we can just take the big train there," Imogen said as stepping in.

Eloise followed nodding her head. The windows were closed as it was a bit chilly outside, both quickly slid the dresses on, dresses that were not appropriate for the weather and stared out the window. Eloise could feel Imogen's gaze on her, but refrained from looking and instead looked at her rather distressed reflection. Eloise didn't want to ask why, Eloise cared but she was scared to know why her friend was so distant but then there, so in and out of it, she was scared for the truth, so she kept her gaze on the window. Imogen's mouth opened and Eloise watched her formulate something to say, but her eyes looked down and her mouth shut close, and again she was leaning on the door, mirroring Eloise, besides the lonely look on her face. Eloise sat back and finally said, "Is everything alright, Imogen?"

Imogen kept her gaze on the window, blowing onto it hard enough to create a fog, and said, "Everything is lovely." Eloise watched Imogen close her eyes and fold her arms in, Eloise began to reach into the bag she brought and opened a new pill bottle she found at home.

3 pills maybe?, Eloise thought to herself. She put them all at the back of her tongue and golfed down water from a bottle that seemed like it had been there for more than a week or so. Eloise felt an instant rush in her body, it may not have been the pills but as soon as she took them, she just felt better. Felt more alive or less alive but it felt good. Eloise looked at Imogen's resting head and Eloise did the same.

"The train is here ladies, you better hurry to catch it," the chauffeur said watching the two girls awaken, and Eloise's eyes widened as she saw the conductor start to do his final checks. She busted the car door open, Imogen following behind her, and they both ran just in time to find a compartment.

Imogen looked past Eloise and Eloise gained annoyance at such. "I don't think we should have gone all the way to New York, just to come back the next day. It's a rather stupid idea on our behalf," Imogen said, looking at Eloise's reflection in the window.

"It's not stupid at all, it's cool. It's thrilling, there's no fun in just cooping ourselves up," Eloise said leaning into the table to catch Imogen's eye.

"I like being cooped up actually," Imogen scoffed, her face showing some annoyance, Eloise cringed her face at this, sighing and then saying, "Then why did you come?"

"That's a great question," Imogen pushed the coat she had over her shoulder and started towards the conductors side.

"Where are you going?" Eloise asked, looking over her shoulder but down at the floor.

"I'm getting off on the next stop, I'd advise you do the same," Imogen blurted out, and without anything else, she slammed the door of the train car they were in and eyes watched the door slam and the murmur that was quiet was now loud and Eloise sat by herself watching the dirt patches and the train tracks of the other train. The train stopped after 2 hours and Eloise pulled her fur, ankle long coat over her body and walked to the platform for the other train back to Connecticut, she couldn't go to New York alone, it'd be utterly careless.

She walked onto the platform, where she tripped over her jacket, scraping her knees on the floor. She looked up from the floor to see Imogen staring at her, but when her eyes met Eloise's, she looked away hurt, and walked down the platform to get a further train car. Eloise picked herself up, wiping her hands on her coat, and pushed herself into the middle compartment, plopping down in an empty compartment, looking around. A cart was pushed down the aisle and Eloise stopped the man by putting her hand out across his body.