Chapter 29: Come Fly With Me (Part 2)

Doorbell Rings
Jay - "Phil and Ryan?"
Phil - "Bet you weren't expecting us were you hahaha."
Jay - "No I wasn't"
Ryan - "Sorry about that Phil wanted to just come and hang out here."
Before Jay could respond Phil swopped in put his right hand on Jay's shoulder and said, "We hang out all the time he doesn't mind us coming over unannounced. Right?"
Jay understanding the hidden meaning replied, "Yes of course. Come on in."
Ryan entered the house and headed for the sofa.
Jay - "Give us one second yeah. Phil and I need to talk in private."
Jay headed outside and Phil followed him. Ryan found this interesting as his tagging along had clearly caused a change in Phil's behavior.
Ryan badly wanted to break character to hear what they were talking about but manage to restrain himself.
Jay - "Alright now explain what is this all about?"
Phil - "Claire thinks that we don't have a good relationship. To prove it she forced me to come over and even send Ryan over to spy on us."
Jay - "I see so what do you want me to do about it."
Phil - "Can't we just hang out at your place."
Jay - "So you wanna just hang out?"
Phil - "I brought six friends so why not."
Phil then showcases his beer to Jay who is left to ponder this request.
The scene ends there and we return to the Dunphy house where Claire is welcoming guests.
Gloria - "Manny bought his favorite game to play with Luke."
Manny - "It's called empire. You use strategies to expand territories to take over the world."
Claire - "Luke is definitely going to love that. He is out back playing."
Luke is seen bouncing on the trampoline with a box on top of his head.
Luke - "ooh it's so dark in here. I got to jump or they will get me."
Luke speaks in the distance but no one hears him.
Gloria - "Do you need me to go get you something while I am shopping?"
Claire - "That's a nice offer but I think we are good thanks."
Alex - "Okay what about this?"
Claire - "You don't even say hello to Gloria and Manny."
Alex - "Hi Gloria and Manny."
"Okay, mom what about this?"
Claire - "No you are wearing a dress."
Alex - "Ah mom come on."
Claire - "What it going to kill you to look like a girl for one afternoon. At times I don't know what Ryan sees in you."
Alex - "It's a wedding for a friend of yours I have never even heard of."
Claire - "You wouldn't be like this if Ryan was coming with us to the wedding now, would you?"
Alex - "Is he?"
Claire - "No but you get my point."
Alex - "Come on mom pleases."
Claire - "It's non-negotiable go borrow a dress from Haley again."
Alex - "No that sends an ugly message that I am Haley."
"You know instead of trying to force me to wear a dress why don't you worry about that Luke should wear some pants."
Claire - "What. Why does he do this."
Claire opens the backyard window and shouts, "Luke pants. Come one."
Luke - "Do I have to?"
Claire - "Yes."
We then return to Jay's house where Jay is seen working on a plane. Phil and Ryan are just sitting in silence watching Jay work.
Ryan - "Awkward silences."
Phil who was drinking his beer almost spits out his beer hearing Ryan's comment.
Phil - "You see this is a type of ritual. I drink beer and watch Jay work on his plane. Ain't that right pal?"
Jay - "Pal?"
Phil winks and replies, "You know pal. It's what we always call each other when no one is around."
Jay - "You know what I was thinking now that Ryan is here why don't I break the ritual and let him help me work on the plane."
Ryan - "Oh I would love to."
Jay - "Alright go fetch me my toolbox from upstairs, it's on the study desk while my pal and I wait here."
Ryan got up and headed upstairs to bring Jay his toolbox. With Ryan out of the picture, Jay started questioning Phil.
Jay - "Pal really?"
Phil - "Come on at least I am trying. All you have done is build that stupid plane of yours."
Jay - "Don't talk to me like that. Do you want Ryan to know the truth?"
Phil - "No."
Jay - "Then give me Respect. Respect. Respect."
Phil - "Why did you say it three times."
Jay - "Important things need to be said three times. Now, where is that apology?."
Phil - "Sorry I am just far too conscious about things like this ever since my uncle."
Jay - "You know what I don't wanna hear it. Just follow my lead and everything will go well."
Phil - "Alright."
Ryan headed back downstairs with the toolkit and handed it over to Jay.
Ryan - "Here you go."
Jay - "Alright just a little more tweaking and then we can fly this bad boy."
Phil - "Really?"
Jay - "Come on pal you don't have to pretend in front of the kid. We have flown this plane together a million times now haven't we?"
Phil - "Ah yes."
Ryan - "Wow I can't wait to see it fly."
We return to the Dunphy household.
Gloria - "Maybe I can help you find something that you or even Ryan might like."
Claire - "That's a nice thought but it's not her thing."
Alex - "Actually I would love to go. See you don't know what my thing is. You have no idea what my thing is."
Claire - "I know what your thing is. Your thing is to provoke. Just like your sister's thing is to never come out of her room and your brother's thing. Well, there's your brother's thing."
"Luke put them on."
Luke - "I don't want to"
Claire - "Don't force me to come over there and put them on you, myself."
We then see Gloria and Alex walking toward a diner.
Gloria - "I was thinking after lunch we can go and do a little shopping."
Alex - "I am not getting the dress, not for me or Ryan."
Gloria - "I don't care I am not your mother."
Alex - "I know you are my grandmother."
Gloria - "Step-grandmother. Anyways today think of me as a girlfriend. Two girls out for an afternoon of fun."
Alex - "What do you usually do with your girlfriends."
Gloria - "I don't know we go out, we talk, drink wine."
Alex - "Can I drink wine?"
Gloria - "No Claire would kill me."
Alex - "Some friend."
Gloria - "Well you can still talk to me about anything."
Alex - "Yeah adults always say that but they don't mean it. When my mom says I can ask her anything I actually can't. She just freaks out."
Gloria - "I won't freak out shoot."
Alex - "Okay. How many men have you slept with."
Gloria - "Eight."
"Now my turn, so have Ryan and you kissed yet."
Alex - "Uh no we just started dating a few days ago."
Gloria - "Really?"
Alex - "Yeah we tried being friends to get to know each other better first."
Gloria murmured, "I guess he really won't disappear to get milk when you have a baby together."
Alex - "What?"
Gloria - "Nothing."